1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Help with gauge cluster lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with gauge cluster lights

New to forum... So little back story... I have a 1991.5 d250 with 120,000 miles on it just put new moog springs on front end... Motor is bone stock with turbo... Now to the issue.. Gauge cluster is working properly and all gauges read true, but at night when head lights are turned on the 2 blinker lights are the only lights that come on on the dash.. They stay on messed with it changed all the bulbs no change.. The lights that enable u to read speedometer do not come on... Headlights and tail lights work fine along with cab lights... Only the right blinker flashes on the dash when turn signal is on... Was thinking possible ground problem?? Any help or opinions appreciated...

Old 04-03-2013, 11:02 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked your fuses? My dash wouldn't light up a few months ago and it was just a blown fuse. It sounds like you have multiple problems so that may not fix everything if it fixes anything at all

Old 04-03-2013, 03:10 PM
Up Re mossyoak66

Appreciate the reply checked all the fuses... They looked good prolly gana replace them anyways just to be sure

Old 04-03-2013, 11:26 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Take the dash cluster out and check the connections on the back of the board if you haven't already. Seems like one wire in the big plug(s) in the dash cluster runs all the gauge area lights and it "might" be tan - I can't remember. It should power through the light switch, which in our trucks not the most dependable. It certainly sounds like you just have to track down a loose wire in the circuit... Yeah, I know "just"... You can also check the ground strap under the dash while you're in there, but that doesn't really sound like your issue. If it wasn't grounded, you'd have plenty of other issues. Electrical issues aren't the best way to spend an evening...

Old 04-05-2013, 02:23 PM
Default Update

Ok so this is what I'm workin with... Replaced fuses no change... Fuse box was missing the hazard relay don't kno how I missed that... Just put it in and problem still there but has changed... Now right blinker flashes as it should until I apply the brake then just stays lit up until pressure is released from brake then returns to flashing normally... When left blinker is engaged the damn hazards come on and do the light up brake thing that the right one does... Odometer has also quit working along with trip counter... Guess when it rains it pours!!! Any help appreciated cus I'm almost at the kerosene and match solution... Would have to pull the motor first tho

Old 04-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Odometers usually die because of some itty-bitty gears in the speedo. Just another problem to fix. My 'extra' speedo is at the shop getting rebuilt. Buuuuuutttttt ... it could be that you aren't getting power to the cluster, so don't pull and ship it yet. I still think you just need to start tracing power into and out of the fuse box. Good grounds are your friends. The good news is that it doesn't sound like your previous owner rewired a bunch of stuff in one color and used liquid electrical tape to "fix" four wires in two different circuits in one big glob. (that one killed blinkers, fan, turn signals, wipers, and a couple of other things on that side of the fuse box). Just keep tinkering ... it will drive you bonkers, but you'll get it fixed right and not have to fix it again.