Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   blue and white smoke on cold start (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/106519-blue-white-smoke-cold-start.html)

jdbigblue12v 12-12-2012 03:31 PM

blue and white smoke on cold start

i live in new york and its been getting pretty cold at night and i park the truck fpr about 9-11 hours a night before driving again. when i cold start it with the grids on it starts up in a half click, but rough idle and lots of blue/white smoke. this only started happening since it got cold and i have a feeling bad lift pump may be causing this too. brand new fuel filter last week and when doing a w.o.t pull on the highway (with h1c rightnow) it hits 20-psi for about 5 seconds and then falls off to about 10 engine bogs and sputters. what the hell is going on??

VTstrokin 12-12-2012 04:35 PM

Drop off in boost and the engine "bogging down" at highway speeds is a hint that the lift pump is going.

jdbigblue12v 12-13-2012 02:14 AM

Would lift pump to cause back fire and blue smoke when i floor it? Thats what happens when i said it bogs down an boost falls off

VTstrokin 12-13-2012 11:13 AM

Lose power..backfire..blue and black smoke will come from the exhaust - JustAnswer

I found this online, try the link above. I know it's showing a newer Cummins engine, but its worth a shot. Hope it helps!

jdbigblue12v 12-13-2012 04:42 PM

Well i gradually rev-ed the truck up to 2200rpm and it blows alot of white smoke and sputters an back fires. Please tell me this is a. Sign of a bad lift pump and not a gauged cam like i have been readig

VTstrokin 12-13-2012 06:51 PM

Wish I could man, I just don't know enough about it to be able to tell you, but maybe someone else will chime in and help you out a bit more.

cumminskid92 12-13-2012 07:42 PM

run a temporary fuel psi gauge into the cab and see what the fuel pressure is at WOT

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

My truck was doing the same thing so I replaced my lift pump but it didn't fix the problem. I dropped my tank and found that the screen on my pickup tube had collapsed and sucked into the line thus reducing flow. Just something to check before you but a lift pump

jdbigblue12v 12-13-2012 07:57 PM

Ill check that tonight

plowboy1138 12-13-2012 08:23 PM

It's normal for one of these old trucks it should clear up and smooth out once it gets the cylinder temp up

On the high way it sounds like ur lift pump goin or slipped timing

jdbigblue12v 12-14-2012 01:59 AM

How would the timing slip? Never had the case open and runs mint until higher rpms and when boost comes up demanding more fuel i feel like it is because of fuel pressure droppin to low

bump please help!!

the same problem i have!!