Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   Bleeding the brakes (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/106474-bleeding-brakes.html)

Cow tipper 12-11-2012 05:17 PM

Bleeding the brakes

I need help on how to bleed the brakes because ive never done it before. The pedal has alot of free travel and i just got the brakes done about a month ago. So how can i bleed the brakes? Thank you in advance for any help

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I also just got a new master cylinder about a month ago and about 4 days ago they started barely working again.

1993firstgennewbie 12-11-2012 05:43 PM

your gona need a buddy with good comunication skills and then you start at the passenger side rear. Tell your buddy to pump a few times thn tell him to hold the pedal down repeat until a nice stream of fluid comes out with no air. Then go to the driver side rear an repeat, then go to passenger side front and repeat, then driver side front and repeat, you always start at the furthest wheel first. Now is a good time for new fluid as well. I hope I dont have to explain how the zerks work but those are the thingies you open. You should also adjust your rear drums before you start the bleeding process. easy as that should take about 20min including the adjustment let m know if you need help wih that:c:

92betsy 12-11-2012 06:51 PM

If you got a rebuilt MC you may have a pain getting it to work. A new non-rebuilt one will save a lot of grief. I went through a few rebuilt ones before the brakes would build pressure. Do it like he said, and it is easy. My son was 7yrs old when he helped my bleed mine. Just told him to push the peddle when he heard my yell, and release when I yelled again. May want to do the process several times for best results.

Gas 12-11-2012 08:23 PM

Who installed the brakes? What did you have done when you had the "brakes done?"

The master cylinder better be a brand new unit and not a remanufactured unit or else you'll be chasing issues...been there done that. You can buy brand new bendix on rockauto.com

Also, it sounds like it would be best if you had a pro look at the brakes with you there. A master cylinder MUST be bench bled before installation. Was that done? Barely working brakes means a serious problem and also means you should not be driving the truck until someone who knows brake repair looks at them.

We want you to learn but if you don't know how to bleed brakes and your brakes aren't working properly then you should be repairing the brakes with a true technician present instead of getting instructions online.

92betsy 12-11-2012 08:48 PM

I just realized in my post it sounds like I have a rebuilt one, my bad:argh:. To clarify I went through 5 rebuilt ones, and 3 boosters. Then after none worked I installed a booster, and MC from a 1996 1ton Dodge. Had to drill a couple holes in the firewall to fit the bolt placement, but they work better than the stock style setup ever did. And do make sure you bleed the MC before install. It takes a while but needs to be done.

1993firstgennewbie 12-13-2012 11:13 AM

just bleed the brakes before you replace more parts

Cow tipper 12-13-2012 04:36 PM

I just got it back in the shop. The master cylinder was replaced last month and now its already going out. Im not sure why that is. But at least its under warranty!

92betsy 12-14-2012 12:09 AM

Rebuilt MC don't last, is a new or new/rebuilt?