Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   piston style lift pump swap worth it? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/106043-piston-style-lift-pump-swap-worth.html)

sootman 12-02-2012 02:07 AM

piston style lift pump swap worth it?

I was snoopinga around online because my lift pump started leaking fuel. I saw a kit to convert to the piston style lift pump for $270. Is it reallt worth it or save up for a raptor lift pump?

hydroshok 12-02-2012 03:39 AM

Depends on how much HP you want to eventually make. It is said to support ~300HP. If it's leaking don't keep driving it with low pressure because it will wear out the injection pump. I have the kit on my 1st gen and it works just fine with my setup (listed in my sig).

bladeyamaha 12-02-2012 09:37 AM

Uh, I think it is, you just prolly don't need those lines get an aftermarket fuel filter (remote mount like Racor) just buy the spacer and the pump, spend less on those, bypass all the stock filter and the fuel heater if its not really needed, its what I'm doing, but I'm in South Texas and winters aren't much here. :) Remember the electric fuel pumps would be whining the whole time you have the engine on, it seems to me it would get real old. :)

BC847 12-02-2012 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by bladeyamaha (Post 967109)
Remember the electric fuel pumps would be whining the whole time you have the engine on, it seems to me it would get real old. :)

Get a better quality electric fuel-pump. :pca1:

AHineman 12-02-2012 09:53 PM

I can hear the Airdog on my truck when I turn the key on, but once I start the engine, all I hear is 12 valve music.:tu:

1stgenblowingsmoke 12-04-2012 01:01 AM

Just a get a ppump lp, fp regulator for like 15psi tops, some fittings, two pump to block gaskets, make a dpacer just like the gasket I think it's 5/16 thickness and make the lines. then the factory line off the lp cut it n slip a 3/8 hose over it double hose clamp it n call her a day. took me 2 hours on my VE.

Screamin' Metal 12-04-2012 10:49 AM

Like the man said, you'll hear it even if its a holley black or blue pump....but when the music starts, all is fine!:tu:
Now then, theres something about filling my crankcase is diesel that rubs me the wrong way, so I always block off the Mech. pump, run a good electric, wired into the Hobbs switch plumbed into theoil system just below the stock oil pressure sending unit.
That way if you ever loose oil pressure, your fuel is cut off.
Best to have plenty of pressure though....its hard on the IP if you don't.....

78fordf150ranger 12-04-2012 11:12 AM

Do please post some pictures

Screamin' Metal 12-04-2012 06:01 PM

Whichever pump you go with, just don't go over 15 PSI, use a regulator and turn it down to about 12....

sootman 12-05-2012 10:36 AM

do you have any recommendations on which electric pump to get. i'm just looking for something to support mild injectors and a s300ish turbo till i get everything else fixed then im going to an air dog II