Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   AFC cap ? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/103807-afc-cap.html)

1993cummins 10-15-2012 06:56 PM

AFC cap ?

if i was to play with the smoke screw or whatever you want to call it ... do I have to take the AFC cap off , or can I just do it without removing anything besides the cap that covers the torx screw

bladeyamaha 10-15-2012 07:04 PM

Remove the cap with a sharp object carefully, like with a knife, stainless preferably, a big one with a sharp tip or a pick and hook set, the cap is made out of tin and is easily punctured and there is a locking nut with a torx screw in the middle. Adjust as desired. Retighten locking nut carefully. :rock:

1993cummins 10-15-2012 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by bladeyamaha (Post 949544)
Remove the cap with a sharp object carefully, like with a knife, stainless preferably, a big one with a sharp tip or a pick and hook set, the cap is made out of tin and is easily punctured and there is a locking nut with a torx screw in the middle. Adjust as desired. Retighten locking nut carefully. :rock:

okay , i accidently destroyed my cap lol ( is it a big deal ? ) ... and do i have to take the nut off then adjust it or just loosen the nut ?

mossyoak66 10-15-2012 07:54 PM

Just loosen the nut and adjust the screw then tighten the nut back up but don't go crazy with it unless you have gauges because this can make your EGTs go up pretty fast. Oh and pay close attention to how far you turn the screw so if you don't like the results you'll know how to get it back to the original depth

1993cummins 10-15-2012 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by mossyoak66 (Post 949581)
Just loosen the nut and adjust the screw then tighten the nut back up but don't go crazy with it unless you have gauges because this can make your EGTs go up pretty fast. Oh and pay close attention to how far you turn the screw so if you don't like the results you'll know how to get it back to the original depth

okay , thanks !
I was worried about a (runaway) engine because of this mod , but i guess it is unlikely....
do you think that half a turn would do the trick ?....and what are EGT's?

mossyoak66 10-15-2012 08:48 PM

I did mine a half turn and liked the results but I stopped at that till I get my gauges ordered and installed. I also turned my stock fuel pin and adjusted my star wheel a little.

1993cummins 10-15-2012 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by mossyoak66 (Post 949632)
I did mine a half turn and liked the results but I stopped at that till I get my gauges ordered and installed. I also turned my stock fuel pin and adjusted my star wheel a little.

so half a turn was noticeable without playing with the other stuff ?

mossyoak66 10-15-2012 09:00 PM

I did the fuel screw after the other stuff. And it took some fine tuning. Get on YouTube and watch "how to tune VE cummins" or something like that, helped me a lot!