Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   Tach Install (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/103177-tach-install.html)

wood2turn 10-02-2012 08:49 PM

Tach Install

My '93 is an AT and as such does not have a tach as part of the gauge cluster...but I want one.

Will the stock tach from a manual fit in the dash?
Are there any other "idiot lights" or smaller gauges that are built into that gauge?
Lastly...how difficult would it be to add the tach?

Thanks,
Terry

peobryant 10-02-2012 09:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You have a few options for a tachometer.

Dodge offered tachs as an option for these trucks, but it had to be ordered from the dealer that way, and as such they are pretty rare. Your truck being a '93 will have the wiring for a tach under the dash so if you find an original "factory" tach it will hook right up.

It looks like this...

Attachment 36831

There are also a few aftermarket companies that offer tachs that can be used for our trucks. I'd recommend Isspro as I feel they make a much better product than their competitors and they offer a tach that plugs right into your existing wiring as well.

bladeyamaha 10-02-2012 11:05 PM

How do you use factory stuff to just hook up the tach or can you?:humm:

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Can I install this instead if I wire properly?:humm:

AUTOMETER DIESEL MINI TACHOMETER TACH 2 5/8" GAUGE | eBay

Just trying to make this thread useful to all who want to install tachs on their 1st Gens here, not trying to take over, do you really have to use an interface to install a tach on a 1991.5 Dodge Cummins?

Universal Flywheel Tachometer Interface

Universal Diesel Alternator Tachometer Interface

1stgenblowingsmoke 10-02-2012 11:17 PM

Just get the autometer tach the sensor straps to the alt n reads off that.

The ispro will plug right in n work with the plug I think the factory tach was made by isspro to be honest. the dodges run a very low current to the tach and most aftermarket tachs run to high of a voltage work. now of course you could get a dakota digital system n run any gasser tach even if you wanted but be prepared to out the butt for one.

1993cummins 10-02-2012 11:19 PM

My truck has one in it , i wouldn't imagine it being hard to install

bladeyamaha 10-03-2012 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by 1stgenblowingsmoke (Post 944472)
Just get the autometer tach the sensor straps to the alt n reads off that.

The ispro will plug right in n work with the plug I think the factory tach was made by isspro to be honest. the dodges run a very low current to the tach and most aftermarket tachs run to high of a voltage work. now of course you could get a dakota digital system n run any gasser tach even if you wanted but be prepared to out the butt for one.

How do I install this?

FARIA DIESEL BOAT TACHOMETER GAUGE marine gauges | eBay

I'm gonna make this tach work on my truck no matter what it cost, about to get my settlement money on my medical portion and its just what I want, what else can I say?:yeah:

Here are some good links brothers! :)

how do wire in a tach in a 91 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-ge...achometer.html

MSD Tach Signal GMR Pickup

MSD Ignition 8918 Tach Signal GMR Pickup | eBay

:rocking::choochoo:

terragota5.9cummins 10-03-2012 07:09 PM

can you say hijacked

this is not the first thread you hijacked ,bladeyamahahahahaha

BC847 10-03-2012 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by terragota5.9cummins (Post 944879)
this is not the first thread you hijacked ,bladeyamahahahahaha

:w2:

CowboyRoy 10-06-2012 03:46 AM

tach time

Installing a tach sounds like a
good ideal . I think I will just have to install one in my 93 dually. It would be nice to know what it's turning. So where's a good place tofind an original?