Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   transmission downshifting (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/96591-transmission-downshifting.html)

wisconsin redneck 05-23-2012 09:20 PM

transmission downshifting

ive been having a little trouble with my truck and i thought id see if you guys have any ideas.. so here's what is doing, the transmission doesnt want to lock up into over drive unless you give it enough throttle. once it lockups up it functions properly but if your let off the pedal alittle bit it comes out of over drive. Now if you let off the pedal enough it will actually down shift from 4th gear into 3rd no matter what speed youre going and it wont up shift untill you give it enough pedal, regardless of wheel speed (such as going down a hill).kind of acting like an engine brake now here's some history on the problem. this is about the 3rd its had this problem. and it did happen before i had the transmission rebuildt. the first time a new tps sensor fixed the problem, second was throttle linkage adjustment, third time the tv/kickdown cable was replaced and adjusted. i was just wondering if you guys had ever herd/seen this happen before. Im pretty sure its not the transmissions fault, rather the trucks fault. Any ideas? also the transmission was just rebuildt using the suncoast rebuildt kit and a new single disk suncoast torque converter.

captain_stabbin 05-24-2012 01:31 AM

governor assembly?

wisconsin redneck 05-24-2012 06:59 PM

governor assembly? im assuming youre not talking about the injection pump governor..

wisconsin redneck 05-28-2012 12:01 PM

bumb:argh:

dezzrats 05-28-2012 07:58 PM

I was looking into a TPS delete kit. I don't know if this would help your problem.

Welcome to DNR customs

wisconsin redneck 05-29-2012 07:05 PM

Installing a Potentiometer in place of the TPS - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums
i ordered the stuff am gonna try this as soon as it gets here. ill update if it helped the problem or not

wisconsin redneck 05-30-2012 08:36 PM

so. installed tps delete.. it wont even shift into 4th when the delete is plugged in.. i tried switching the wires around even combination possible and double checked it all... plugged tps back in and its doin the same old problem again... :argh::argh::argh::argh::argh: damn this thing

tmonroe 05-30-2012 11:25 PM

Sounds like u might have some crappy in the valve body . Be worth it to check:w2::w2:

ricet07 05-30-2012 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by tmonroe (Post 899563)
Sounds like u might have some crappy in the valve body . Be worth it to check:w2::w2:

x2 at worst case scenario tear it down again and go through everything. Double check your kick down cable maybe adjust it a little each way and see if one or the other helps.

wisconsin redneck 05-31-2012 07:25 PM

hmmm well this is where it gets tricky. the tranny has a warranty on it from the rebuild still. im just gonna take it in to get fixed. if its under warranty then obviously it would be foolish to do it myself. lol