Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   Still having trans problems (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/96229-still-having-trans-problems.html)

sjcoan 05-16-2012 08:36 PM

Still having trans problems

I'm still having trouble with my shift from first to second i have to bring the rpms up over 2000 and sharply drop off and get back into it to shift into second everything else is ok. The TC locks and it shifts into the other gears good. I checked the TV cable and it appears ok but next I want to adjust the bands but in order to do that I have to drop the pan. I bought the truck from my father and he was the second owner and had it for the majority of it mileage and it now has 146 and change on it and he never changed the fluid or adjusted the bands that I know for sure :argh:. My question is that I've been told that if a fluid hasnt been changed and has alot of miles on it that changing it can cause problems with the clutch packs and other things in the tranny, is this true? I can live with the shifting issue for now i guess I dont have the spare cash to rebuild or do a manual swap which i really want to do. Any help is appreciated fellas

BTW Trans fluid still looks ok, nice and red and is not burnt.

kurtimas13 05-18-2012 02:14 AM

Not a big automatic transmission guy but,
Fluid pressure in the valve body causes bands to engage and disengage clutch packs if i'm not mistaken, might have pressure issues or flow issues. I can't remember.

Try a stall test and see if the torque converter is decently healty
hook up a pressure gauge and see what pressures are at in ratio to gears and rpms and compare them to specs.

I dont think the torque converter would be your problem, if it works fine in other gears it should work for all. should have problems if it feels like your transmission is slipping or sluggish to start off due to bad oil sling in the tc.
not sure if this info is correct but but I think it is from the top of my head, hope this helps you.

turbo2332 05-18-2012 09:43 AM

to much throttle pressure, adjust the black cable on the side of your trans that runs to your throttle linkage.

sjcoan 05-18-2012 03:48 PM

Thanks guys I'll look into your suggestions but would still like to know if a trans fluid and filter change (not a flush) would be detrimental to the trans after running so long with out a fluid change

kurtimas13 05-18-2012 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by sjcoan (Post 895391)
Thanks guys I'll look into your suggestions but would still like to know if a trans fluid and filter change (not a flush) would be detrimental to the trans after running so long with out a fluid change

definitely could have affects on transmission function. tranny fluid gets hot and cold and after time the additives packets in the oil get old and the oil doesnt cool well, it foams it gets hot, splashes and doesnt have lubricity, when things get to hot they wear quickly.

olereddually25 05-21-2012 07:22 PM

prob gonna cost you around 100 bucks for new fluid and filter and its worth it if your gonna drop the pan. i wouldnt mess with the bands if your not 100% sure. start with the simple things first. not sure but check your tps i heard it could do werid things to your tranny if its bad. and if you drop the pan ohm out your shift solenoids to make sure theyre working properly

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

and by the way manual swap isnt worth it :td: