Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   Fuel overflow valve 1994 cummins (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/93584-fuel-overflow-valve-1994-cummins.html)

casper 03-27-2012 10:07 AM

Fuel overflow valve 1994 cummins

I'm looking for the cummins part number for fuel overflow valve on my 1994.

I don't have pressure gauge, but thinking FOV needs replacement. Engine run good to 1500 rpm then misses with blue smoke. fairly new lift pump and filter, anlong with clean pre-screen.

Truck had been running low on power for while, till now with the missfire.

I really would like to get one today from cummins rather than wait for one to be shipped from ebay if the price differnce isnt too much.

thanks

turbo2332 03-27-2012 11:49 AM

take the OFV apart and stretch the spring. if this solves the problem order a new one or use a bic pen spring to mod your stock valve with.

casper 03-27-2012 03:53 PM

How do you get the valve apart if it doesnt have extra bolt on top? Is this a part that can suddenly go bad? I have mine out now, the spring appears to have good tension on the ball, but no way of knowing if it is enough.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

in looking at this... i assume it would be impossible for trash to get between ball and seat causing it to not function suddenly?

turbo2332 03-27-2012 04:21 PM

i have never had one like yours apart. and assuming here the ball is pressed in after the spring making your a throw away piece after it fails.

casper 03-27-2012 04:37 PM

ive ordered one from ebay... hopfully it helps. I put my old one back in. Truck acts the same. Doesnt have any kind of air leak is issue.. truck starts fine without hitting peddle. It can set for days and fire right up. Idles fine, but as soon as pedel is pushed, misses n blows blue smoke. I dont have an aircompressor here so cant blow back through fuel line to see if its restricted in tank somehow.

pukie370 03-27-2012 04:43 PM

mine did same thing and was head gasket, hope you have better luck than me.

casper 03-27-2012 04:56 PM

dont think head gasket. This started few weeks ago. I nearly ran it out of fuel (gage suddenly stoped working, showing 1/4 tank) Truck died on me few times. Each time though, I just hit the key and it fired right up and ran fine for few miles. I filled it up with 32 gals of fuel and it was fine for till the other day.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

suppose i should go buy cheep compressor and blow back through fuel lines to make sure its not restricted somehow.

tiremann9669 03-27-2012 08:17 PM

Could be timing slipped :c:

turbo2332 03-27-2012 08:24 PM

or a weak lift pump

casper 03-27-2012 09:10 PM

bought cheep compressor and blew threw back to tank.. could get air to go but with what seemed like reistance. I'm thinking the tank has some sort of filter that clogged when i ran low on fuel.

I wasn't able to blow hard enough threw the fuel line with my mouth so I'm sure the pump is working too hard to suck the fuel. I tried to siphon with my mouth and couldn't get any that way. Should their be not so much resitance getting fuel from tank?