Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   96 12 valve no start after crash???????? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/90032-96-12-valve-no-start-after-crash.html)

customcummins 01-22-2012 06:20 PM

96 12 valve no start after crash????????

:s:so i tore apart my brothers truck after he wrecked it and put things back together when i threw in the battery i have power when i turn the key on but when you turn to start it there is nothing no starter and the shutoff solenoid does not pull up.. i can manually pull up the solenoid and it will stay with key on like its supposed to, and i can jump the starter across manually and get to start. but doin all of this stuff manually sucks. I am sure that it is a wire somewhere but does anyone know where to start?? I have been chasing wires but no progress... The airbags did go off so is there a switch in the column that wont allow the truck to run? thanks for any help that anyone may be able to give me....

mudball_79 01-22-2012 06:29 PM

if it is an automatic i would check the park/neutral safety switch, if it is manual check the clutch switch...you may want to double check that all wires are hooked back up to the battery as well........at least it will run so it shouldn't be too major:humm:

RanchhandTCR 01-22-2012 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by customcummins (Post 847406)
:s:so i tore apart my brothers truck after he wrecked it and put things back together when i threw in the battery i have power when i turn the key on but when you turn to start it there is nothing no starter and the shutoff solenoid does not pull up.. i can manually pull up the solenoid and it will stay with key on like its supposed to, and i can jump the starter across manually and get to start. but doin all of this stuff manually sucks. I am sure that it is a wire somewhere but does anyone know where to start?? I have been chasing wires but no progress... The airbags did go off so is there a switch in the column that wont allow the truck to run? thanks for any help that anyone may be able to give me....

HMMM in not electrical genius.

y friend had this issue with his started we need to replace the bushing inside the starter we could get it to turn if we jumped it but we couldent start it with the key. I take it ff and make sure your connections are good inside. Also make sure you Crankshaft Senor is hooked up good.

bobfbigman 01-22-2012 06:43 PM

I think he is right, sounds like a neutral safety switch.

customcummins 01-22-2012 07:08 PM

it is an auto so i will check the park safety switch, but still when the key is turned to the start position the solenoid is supposed to pull up.. i think. haha

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

isnt there a way to bypass or hotwire the switch straight through on the trans?. im not near the truck to check

Xraytheo 01-22-2012 10:00 PM

hope your bro isnt too banged up, mabey check the wiring in the column, i wonder if the force of the airbag deploying or the collision might have disrupted the ignition switch. if it bent the frame around the steering box i believe the steering shaft is designed to collapse so it doesnt impail you:ouch: (see ralph nader - "unsafe at any speed")

mudball_79 01-23-2012 09:05 PM

the solenoid won't get power to come up until the ignition sends power to the starter relay....since you're not cranking over odds are you're not getting power to the solenoid either, Since it was a crash you may wanna check the rod that runs from the ignition switch/key to the ignition switch/electrical box..if it got bent any it the key switch may not be pushing the electrical switch fully to the crank position
good luck

customcummins 02-01-2012 02:26 PM

got it figured out the next day that the linkage came off at the trans and was telling the comp that it wasnt in park.. thanks for all of the input and the advice.:tu: