Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   2 speed rearend? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/83999-2-speed-rearend.html)

godblessmud 10-02-2011 01:32 AM

2 speed rearend?

I just was reminded of this by a thread in the first gen section.

My buddy has a first gen dually with the getreg 5 speed, manual t case and a 2 speed rear end. I have always wondered in the back of my mind if that was a stock setup or not? I know you could option first and second gens with a PTO but what about a 2 speed rearend? If it was an option does anyone have any info on how many were produced? Was it just a first gen thing? And if it is aftermarket, does anyone know by who?

chummins89 10-02-2011 11:02 PM

I would think it would be aftermarket , gear vendors , or other. I have never seen a 1 ton 2-speed rear. I would like to have one , best of both worlds. I'm interested in the replys myself

godblessmud 10-04-2011 12:31 AM

This is a legit, run the gears, pull the shifter mounted switch and run them again in a higher ratio. I got a responce in first gen saying no it wasnt factory but again im curious as to who offers this setup.

In all fairness I dont even know if it is still a dana 80 rearend as I cant say I have ever felt like laying in cow chit more than nescesary to crawl under and check.

aguilar_15 10-04-2011 12:49 AM

There was an article on DieselPower Mag where they put in a Gear Vendors two speed, over/under on a 93 W250, helped out alot from what I remember. I think there was also a full article of a guy that had a purpose built tow rig with one of them too, a 12 valve dually if I remember right. I'll look for the articles in the morning though, I know they're around here somewhere

dmaxkiller 10-07-2011 03:59 PM

im also interested... but however wouldnt being in 5th and them changing your rearend and then back to 1st be down shifting and over reving your moter? maybe im not fully understanding how this works

cowboyjohnson 10-09-2011 02:20 PM

after you flip your selector switch you change the gear ratio in your rearend so first would really be sixth, second is seventh and so forth

tiremann9669 10-09-2011 07:53 PM

No, a two speed rearend you could split the gears but you wouldnt go from 5th to 1st you could do like 3 low to 3 high to 4 low etc. :c:

godblessmud 10-09-2011 11:42 PM

So what exactly does he have going on then?

tower_ofpower 10-11-2011 12:06 AM

2 speed rearend?

Less down shifting, does the same thing a splitter on the back of a rigs transmission except for it's contained in the differential. Hit a hill, start to bog down but down shifting from 4th to 3rd causes you to tach out, split the rear to "low" and keep pulling in 4th. Or if the "low" ratio is close to your stock gearing then the high is just like OD. Serves multiple purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk