12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

getting phat bastard to spool.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting phat bastard to spool.

my nearest trusting diesel mechanic is gone for a few days so ima ask here. i'm going to build a crazy hp weekend streetable warrior and i'm going to put a industrial injection phat bastard in it but since you can't spool it as a single, we'll put another one on it to help. i was thinking about using a ii phatshaft 71 as the top charger and the phat bastard as the bottom one.

do you think it could spool without nitrous because i really don't want that. any other suggestions for the top charger?

Old 07-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 162 Likes on 143 Posts

How Street-able do you want it to be. I big *** cam should help get everything to spool but it will spool slow and be very smokey, lots of fuel, and high stall converter somewhere around like 2200-2500 RPM, and for a top charger I wouldn't use a phatshaft 71 for reliability issues because that's a very large wheel on a smaller shaft not that they arent good turbos. So i would look into a 2.6 or 2.8 S400 based top charger and run a external gate.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Scott@Alligator
How Street-able do you want it to be.
take it out a couple days a week maby a 4h pull here and there. smoke is my biggest issue. i don't mind the smoke but i don't want it to be soo thick at light acceleration that it could cause an accident by blinding other people.

how would that setup drive like on hour long trips or around town? i never drove a diesel truck that was around 1,500hp so could you give me insight how it would drive around town? thanks.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Diesel Bomber

It would not do it very well. If it was a common rail type truck it would be way better because you can turn it down and you also have more options for tuning to help control smoke. The setup you are looking at building will be extraordinarily smokey all the time because of the way the fuel system works. The setup that you want is a very competition based setup. You do not see alot of daily driven 12 valves over 700 hp because of how smokey they are. You can but it will constantly smoke.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:09 PM
Diesel Fan

i'm sure there's a way to fix that. maby i could make a way to turn the fuel down and propane injection to help the fuel burn better in town? think it would do the trick? i already got most of the parts, mainly not the top charger so she'll be running. now i need to think how to put it in "vale" mode for in town.

i'm not too diesel savy as you can probably tell.

since nobody has answered this in my other thread, if i put crete in the block can it be driven on long trips if i run the cooling through the heads only? or weld a cooling system to the side of the block?

Old 07-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Diesel Bomber

i WOULD not crete the block and drive it on the street. That is just asking for trouble in my opinion. As for using propane or nitrous or some sort of injectable to help burn the fuel but it would take a butt load of those to try to help clean it all up.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Diesel Fan

yah i thought it would take quite a bit to clear it up with spray but it's an idea. maby some in line regular that i can reach in the cab to turn the fuel down on the pumps. more air=less smoke plus some kind of injection to burn the fuel...sounds plausible doesn't it?

thanks for sticking around and helping me out. this is unique to have as a street setup so i understand that this can be difficult to answer.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Diesel Bomber

I idea for nitrous or propane sounds plausible, but a valve to turn the down doesn't seem plausible to me

Old 07-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Diesel Fan

lets say i did use nitrous. can you just slowly leak it in to keep smoke down at in town speeds or does it only help at wot black tornado.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:52 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

cutting your fuel back wont slove your smoke problem because the a turbo setup that big needs alot of fuel to spool it so if you cut the fuel you loose your air and then your back at square 1

Search this Thread