12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Need some help/Advice

Old 06-23-2011, 04:30 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help/Advice

I am considering buying a 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 extended cab diesel that I found for sale. It has 112,000 miles and cosmetically looks to be in very good condition. The previous owner/original owner has a Fisher plow and has plowed with this truck for many years. He claims he has 3 or 4 contracts for small driveways. He also said that the transmisssion was replaced 8 or 9 years ago with a new, not overhauled, transmission. The reason why the trans was replaced was because during plowing one day he no longer had reverse. He says the trans has been flawless since.

I have some other concerns, but for right now could someone tell me if this sounds like it could be a deal breaker. What specifically should I look for concerning how hard he pushed the truck while plowing? Should I be concerned about the tranny swap?

This will be my first diesel Dodge, so any other advice concerning this truck would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 06-23-2011, 06:50 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

being 8-9 years I would say its about due for a trans as plowing puts alot of abuse on the transmission and drivetrain. if he was plowing primarily I would check the underside of the truck carefully. salt does alot to the frame if let sit.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Diesel Fan

Do you have any idea approximately what it cost to re-build the trans or is it something that should be replaced with new?

I have read that these transmissions should have the fluid & filter changed at every 30,000 miles as well as adjusting the bands. Do you know of this to be true and if the trans seems to functioning properly would performing this maintenance help to prevent a failure due to plowing?

Thank you and any other advice on what I should look out is really appreciated.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I am reading that guys are saying to check the front end when looking at a truck to buy. This 97 has 4WD. What specifically should I be looking for in the front end? If its bad is it going to be loose or just looking like crap?

Last edited by Cosmo; 06-23-2011 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

to rebuild a trans would probaly be about 1200 at a shop,if he will let ya take the front different cover off & check the pinion gear to see if its chewed up & in good shape,you should also check the blow by just in case & it never hurts to ask why hes selling it

Old 06-26-2011, 08:24 PM
Diesel Fan

He says he's selling it because he got a new truck and doesn't need this one anymore.

If I pull the front diff cover, its going to puke all the gear oil out, right?

I'm new to Cummins engines, what the best/easiest way to check blow by?

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

yes if you take front diff cover off gear lube will come out,to check blow by take oil cap off while truck is running if it has alot of visible smoke coming out of where cap goes thats bad

Old 07-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks.

The guy that owns the truck never showed up on the day he was supposed to show it to me, so I'm still on the hunt for 94 - 98 12 valve extended cab.

Thanks for the info.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I was doing research last week before buying mine first gen 93, I got 2 prices from AAMCO transmissions. 1 2,650 w/ 1 year warranty, 2 2,950 w/3 year warranty

good luck

Old 07-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Diesel Fan

If I ever get the 2nd gen that I am looking for and if (hopefully not) it ever needs tranny work, I am thinking of doing it myself. Once you pull the valve housing out of a tranny its not that hard. I say this, but I have never done one myself! I'll have to wait and see.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tranny

When I was 17 my fader had a 51 Studebaker, the overdrive was not working, I took it up on myself to figure out why didn't work and I end up taking the whole thing a part. Yes I was able to put it back together and it worked. Unfortunately I can't remember what was wrong with it.

If you have not done transmission work before you have to be very patient and and move slow, springs could fly, things coming a part and could get interesting fast. Have a good surface to catch the fluid that will be everywhere cat litter as absorbent etc.

Good luck
Gonzie

Search this Thread