Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   special tool for tightening injectors? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/76665-special-tool-tightening-injectors.html)

jpfiero 05-17-2011 10:57 PM

special tool for tightening injectors?

Anyone figured out a way to tighten the retaining nut without removing the lines?

About a week ago my #2 retaining nut loosened off and the injector was actually "hopping" on every compression stroke, I managed to get that one tight again with a small crescent wrench but now my #6 injector is oozing diesel around the retaining nut.

Also my #4 injector is always "moist" just under the pressure line nut, any ideas how to get it to seal? I don't want to tighten it any more I'm afraid I'll break something:td:

Thanks

rallyit67 05-18-2011 12:18 AM

You can't get enough movement out of the line if you unhook it? I would just undo the line(s) and torque the nut(s) back down. I think the spec is 42 pounds??? It won't take much cranking to bleed the air out and you should be good to go.

H.R.D 05-18-2011 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by jpfiero (Post 754479)
Anyone figured out a way to tighten the retaining nut without removing the lines?

About a week ago my #2 retaining nut loosened off and the injector was actually "hopping" on every compression stroke, I managed to get that one tight again with a small crescent wrench but now my #6 injector is oozing diesel around the retaining nut.

Also my #4 injector is always "moist" just under the pressure line nut, any ideas how to get it to seal? I don't want to tighten it any more I'm afraid I'll break something:td:

Thanks

Does it have an O ring on it? If so you may need to replace the O ring.

rallyit67 05-18-2011 10:05 AM

I am pretty sure the O-ring is just a dust seal. It doesn't seal off the injector and you don't need them. A lot of ppl just put a lil grease where the O-ring used to go because they always break and wear out.

daveO 05-18-2011 10:59 AM

The injectors have a copper sealing washer where they seat into the heads. Sometimes, if you're putting injectors in and knock a little bit of carbon or something down in there, it will almost never seal up no matter how much you torque them.

jpfiero 05-18-2011 11:27 AM

I had the head off and cleaned the injector bores really well before installing the injectors, I also used all new cummins brand copper washers. I don't have dust washers that sit on top of the injector retaining nut, but I did use anti-seize on the threads and injector body. I guess I'll try and remove the lines and retourque the nuts.

Is there a torque spec for the pressure line?

Thanks

daveO 05-18-2011 12:59 PM

The 98 FSM calls for 18 ft-lbs for the high pressure lines.

jpfiero 05-18-2011 01:32 PM

ok thanks

H.R.D 05-18-2011 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by rallyit67 (Post 754589)
I am pretty sure the O-ring is just a dust seal. It doesn't seal off the injector and you don't need them. A lot of ppl just put a lil grease where the O-ring used to go because they always break and wear out.

They are they for a reason my friend, I would make sure they are there and in good shape. But that is just me. :tu:

jpfiero 05-18-2011 02:16 PM

I would have replaced them but the complete gasket set i got from cummins didn't come with any and I didn't have time to drive back. Not sure why they don't include the dust rings when absolutely everything is is included:argh:.