12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Anyone have this problem? Clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone have this problem? Clutch issues

On the truck in the sig with a CON FE clutch. It had a broken input shaft so we tore it down and this is what we did:
Sent the friction plate back to SB to have them re-rivet the hub so a 1 3/8" input shaft would fit it, bought the SB 1 3/8" input shaft kit along with a new throwout bearing and bearing that goes inside the flywheel.

Also flushed the tranny out with diesel by filling it full and turning the input and output shafts and using a paint brush to get all the 180k miles worth of grime out of there. Filled it full of Amsoil GL4 and bolted it together.

When I went to drive it out of the shop it wouldn't go in gear because the clutch wouldn't disengage. We tried bleeding the slave cylinder and didn't work so we tore it back down. Found the clutch fingers weren't even so pulled it back apart and realigned friction plate and evenly bolted the pressure plate back down. At this point I made sure to check and the fingers were perfect.

Tried to drive out and it worked perfectly. Could shift between gears with the clutch in and no issues. Parked it for a week and a half and went to drive it again and it wouldn't go into gear again because the clutch wasn't disengaging yet again. Replaced the slave and master cylinder with the high quality SB unit and it goes into the 2nd through 5th but harder than normal and still seems to not be fully disengaging.

Could something be up with my pressure plate again? It drove out and shifted perfectly when I parked it with the STOCK hydraulics and now with the SB unit it helped the clutch disengage a little more but still not fully. I don't want to pull it all apart again but looks like I will. What else should I look for other than uneven clutch fingers and how do I test if the pressure plate is my issue?

Old 04-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

When i had this problem, we just kept bleeding the system, walked away for a night and bled some more. It worked after that. I bled a whole bottle through the system though.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you bleed it from the bottom by opening some bleeder on the slave or did you bleed to the top by compressing the slave by hand and waiting for bubbles to go up? I assume bleeding down if you used fluid.

From the tranny friend I have he said at least on the stock ones the only way to bleed is by bleeding up. Taking the slave out and pointing it to the ground and pushing it all the way in and holding waiting for bubbles to rise. This new SB one I figured was already bled because it had the straps on it and it said install it and the straps will break the first time you push the peddle down.

Guess I'll go back out and bleed upward again with this new system because spending an hour doing that is much better than spending 5 hours to pull the tranny if nothing under there is wrong.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:55 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would be pissed to pull that tranny once cuz of it let alone 3 times more power to you man!!