Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   abs/brake lights on (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/74331-abs-brake-lights.html)

dennhop 04-11-2011 07:02 PM

abs/brake lights on

I did do a lot of reading, but it seemed to me that most of the issues were with spongy brakes, and these lights lit up. I just replaced the rear abs sensor, but it didn't work. In the mornings, or when its wet outside and I haven't been driving, when I hit the brakes, they lock up immediately on me. After a while, they seem to work normally, but my lights stay on. Any more ideas? I've checked all my fuses, not sure where to go next.

Bill10656 04-11-2011 07:18 PM

My truck has had this since i bought it a few months back, I was told it was just the sensor, but then with repeated pumping...say down a hill in traffic the brakes would eventually hit the floor and not do alot, fluid was filthy so i bled them and replaced both rear cylinders as the nipple had snapped on one. the brakes now feel alot better, and don't seem to hit the deck anymore but the abs and brake light still come up occasionally, I havnlt experienced the locking up you mention...don't think i could lock a wheel on my truck if i tried!
On that note is the ABS really savage on these trucks? as when i hit the brakes super hard they slam on and off quite violently ad the pedal goes a bit soft, not like the ABS brakes in most cars i have owned. is that normal?

1AMatt 04-12-2011 03:01 PM

Your ABS and brake light are on? Also do you have ABS in just the rear, of the front also?

Bill10656 04-12-2011 05:58 PM

my and ABS and brak elight ar eon at the same time. I wasn;t aware you could get vehicles tha tonly had ABS on 1 axle I just presumed it had it on both...sorry if that was meant for the other guy:w2:

dennhop 04-12-2011 07:47 PM

yeah, I've only got the sensor on the back axle. I found out that the relay is out from under the hood for the abs, but when I plugged a good one in, it shut them off for a few seconds, but then came right back on.

daveO 04-12-2011 08:23 PM

Yeah, my 98 has rear wheel ABS only. I found out based on the sticker on the underside of the hood. Anyway, I've been told that a vacuum leak can also cause your brake/abs light to come on. I haven't verified this myself though.

tiremann9669 04-12-2011 08:25 PM

I powerwashed my frame while I had my box off and after that both of my lights were on for about a week and then they went out. I figured I got water in the connectors for the ABS sensor, maybe you have corrosion in the plug and after changing the sensor you're not gettin a good connection. :c:

UNOH-KID 04-13-2011 06:49 AM

id check for codes this should lead to the main root of the problem or at least send you in the right direction, anything from the speed sensor being off in adjustment to poor conections could cause the light to come on, does your truck have hydroboost brake system

Johnny Z 04-13-2011 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by dennhop (Post 738294)
I did do a lot of reading, but it seemed to me that most of the issues were with spongy brakes, and these lights lit up. I just replaced the rear abs sensor, but it didn't work. In the mornings, or when its wet outside and I haven't been driving, when I hit the brakes, they lock up immediately on me. After a while, they seem to work normally, but my lights stay on. Any more ideas? I've checked all my fuses, not sure where to go next.

I have the exact same problem and have changed every damn brake part there is....and still it persisit. i have learned to live with it because my brakes work fine and my brake system checked out by a certified mechanic who says all is well.:s:

1AMatt 04-13-2011 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by UNOH-KID (Post 739228)
id check for codes this should lead to the main root of the problem or at least send you in the right direction, anything from the speed sensor being off in adjustment to poor conections could cause the light to come on, does your truck have hydroboost brake system

Good idea. Have a shop with an ABS scanner read the codes for you.