Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   Really Stiff Steering! (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/72493-really-stiff-steering.html)

Sudia247 03-16-2011 06:15 PM

Really Stiff Steering!

Hey Everyone!
I've had a problems with my steering since I've owned my truck. My truck doesn't drip any power steering fluid, but if i look near the pump is looks like its just drenched in oil.

Sometimes it seems like the pump is almost working against me for how hard it is to turn the wheel at idle. If I give it some throttle it turns easier, but will make some sound only sometimes when I'm turning.

If I'm just causually driving, steering isn't bad, but not where is should be, some slop i the wheel, and it does feel a little "loose" when driving down the road at highway speeds.

I don't know what is going on with my steering so any help will be much appreciated! :jump:

tiremann9669 03-16-2011 07:08 PM

The oil is probably coming from the seal between the ps pump and the vacum pump, as far as the stiff steering might be the ps pump :c:

Sudia247 03-16-2011 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by tiremann9669 (Post 724976)
The oil is probably coming from the seal between the ps pump and the vacum pump, as far as the stiff steering might be the ps pump :c:

Do you think a new ps pump and seal is needed? I know I need to get a new something, I just don't know what I need.

oglejust 03-16-2011 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Sudia247 (Post 724944)
Hey Everyone!
I've had a problems with my steering since I've owned my truck. My truck doesn't drip any power steering fluid, but if i look near the pump is looks like its just drenched in oil.

Sometimes it seems like the pump is almost working against me for how hard it is to turn the wheel at idle. If I give it some throttle it turns easier, but will make some sound only sometimes when I'm turning.

If I'm just causually driving, steering isn't bad, but not where is should be, some slop i the wheel, and it does feel a little "loose" when driving down the road at highway speeds.

I don't know what is going on with my steering so any help will be much appreciated! :jump:

could be the steering gear giving u play and making it hard to turn, if not then u have 2 problems, 1 problem being the power steering pump is bad and 2 that u have something worn out in the steering (tie rod, trac bar, drag link)

Sudia247 03-17-2011 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by oglejust (Post 725167)
could be the steering gear giving u play and making it hard to turn, if not then u have 2 problems, 1 problem being the power steering pump is bad and 2 that u have something worn out in the steering (tie rod, trac bar, drag link)

LOL that could be a lot of things that cause one problem. well I know the trac bar is fine because I just installed a new 4th gen one. I wanted to upgrade the steering eventually, (something more reliable and stronger) over Dodge's design. But if steering gets easier with some throttle, it should be the drag link or tie rod caught up in this problem right?

pukie370 03-17-2011 06:16 PM

I have same problem with my 01 3500. It has been like that for 30k. I just have other things to fix so i dont wory about. Im positive it is either pump or power stearing box. to know you have to do preashure test. im inclined to say my problem is box because it does not get easier when at highway speeds.

prison 03-17-2011 06:20 PM

in my experience sloppy steering wheels have always been the pitman arm for me

Sudia247 03-17-2011 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by pukie370 (Post 725459)
I have same problem with my 01 3500. It has been like that for 30k. I just have other things to fix so i dont wory about. Im positive it is either pump or power stearing box. to know you have to do preashure test. im inclined to say my problem is box because it does not get easier when at highway speeds.

Yea, when I'm driving down the road, i don't even think about it cause my steering seems likes it's all there besides the sloppiness. But when I enter parking lots it probably looks as I'm drunk for all the curbs I drive over just to make a damn turn. Parking spot are a whole other story, so I try parking away from all other vehicles.

I'm sure I'm having pump problems, but I don't know if it's just my pump, or my box too..

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by prison (Post 725460)
in my experience sloppy steering wheels have always been the pitman arm for me

Do you mean as in play from the pitman arm to the box? If so I'll have my buddy come take a look when I jerk the steering wheel side to side.

prison 03-17-2011 10:36 PM

pitman arm to shaft. ya. i've done 3 in the past few months. all had sloppy wheels. all got solid with the new pitman arm