Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   Need to figure out mileage drop (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/72328-need-figure-out-mileage-drop.html)

BramanteCummins 03-14-2011 09:23 PM

Need to figure out mileage drop

Ok, so I have a stock tranny and my milage has dropped to 14 at best. I can easily peg my tach at 2200 RPM and it takes that to get up to speed. I'm almost sureits the torque converter but my father keeps throwing everything else out. He says it's the TPS a bad alignment and this and that. The TPS hasn't changed since it dropped (mileage), the alignment is fine. Any other ideas or am I right and it is the converter.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Forgot about the signature

madmikeismad 03-14-2011 09:37 PM

lol TPS won't cause that. And I don't even know how you can get alignment issues out of power loss.

With a slid plate your TC probably did die after time. And that would definitely cause some sluggishness. If the motor runs fine and revs fine with no smoke or sputtering or anything, I'd put money on TC or clutches. Might be time for an overhaul.

BramanteCummins 03-14-2011 10:32 PM

Is not that the power went away but my mileage. Went from 20 to 13, I basically need someone else besides me to explain why it's the torque converter cause I can't do any major work without my father agreeing. :argh:

madmikeismad 03-15-2011 02:23 AM

If the power is still there, but the mileage is gone....

are you driving it any harder than usual?
When did you notice the drop in mileage?
Are you still running #2, or is there any chance your pumps switched to #1 for the winter? (#1 rapes my mileage)
Have you recently switched filling stations? New one might have bad fuel?
Running any additives or anything?
Does overdrive work and torque converter still lockup? (if they still work, it's not your tps)
Any new parts? Truck still runs fine? Any smoke, and what color?

BramanteCummins 03-15-2011 08:55 AM

Ive been driving it easier than normal cause of the expense
Its been gradually dropping
Not sure on how to figure out fuel differences
Ive been going to the same one
I run a splash of additives with every tank
It locks up and it can be slipped with relative ease
No new parts, truck runs smooth at all rpms except when cold but thats normal, and it smokes when i put my foot into it at lower rpms and its black, never white, sliiigghtt bluish when just started up.

BRE 03-15-2011 02:19 PM

Fuel Filter and air filter. Two easythings to check and see what happens.

BramanteCummins 03-15-2011 03:48 PM

Considering I got the new filter mid summer I'll bet on the fuel filter. Copletely forgot about it!

stackboy6.9 03-16-2011 11:12 PM

yep its your fuel filter.my friends cummins went from 18 to 12 cus of his filter

BramanteCummins 03-17-2011 12:02 AM

I'll change it out this weekend hopefully and in a week I'll hopefully have my old mileage back! Thanks

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Does anyone happen to know what the stall speed of the stock TC is?:humm: