12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 08:11 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree ^, just tired of people asking how to make smoke and not asking about power is all. and NO I dont beleive audi has an engine that cleans air unless you can prove it. send 1 million to cali.

The following users liked this post:
1st_gen_puller (03-23-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 10:29 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RattleBomb7.3
I agree ^, just tired of people asking how to make smoke and not asking about power is all. and NO I dont beleive audi has an engine that cleans air unless you can prove it. send 1 million to cali.
i understand how ya feel. when it comes to something like a d-max, i definitely feel the same way because theres multiple ways to make smoke, one will make the truck run good, or you could just write a "smoke tune" which is just a low timing tune, that way it doesnt make any power, never spools up, never goes anywhere, just smokes, stupid... but every box tuner has one of those on there and they are never recommended for full time use... and yea i have fun with a good ole smoke tune, im not stupid, i know its "wrong" just watch the egts.

however, these trucks are different and thats the reason i don't carry that "your an idiot for just wanting it to smoke" attitude with these trucks. because the sad truth is the adjustments on these trucks are simple enough to were joe shmo will **** around with he pump in his back yard with just the intentions to make it smoke as much as possible and guess what, he ends up with a pretty darn efficient combo, realistically, on a 165 pump you can max everything out and your realistically not going to get the truck to run any better. honestly, my pump has no plate, star wheel maxed, afc slid forward and the governer springs 3 clicks in, not a dime spent on the truck and it runs really well and gets 19mpg on 35" tires... really what more can i ask for? these trucks are so stupid simple yet somehow incredibly efficient and tough.

and im really not here to have a pissing match all day long, i was just trying to shed some light on the subject for some members who might benefit from a little better of an explanation of what your really doing rather then 3 pages of people going back and forth with one is better then the other, nobody was really giving any reasons. so if you dont agree with me that's fine but im only trying to help, not argue, its a subject that alot of people really don't know what to think about it.

Last edited by Chevy355mark; 03-23-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:34 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 1st_gen_puller
funny story is my dad has always said smoke is just unburnt fuel and ur wasting money... and he talked ****... until i started haulin cattle with him... i got right around 10 mpgs and he got 7... and i should easily have 200+ hp more than him.. i've heard the saying a perfectly tuned diesel wont smoke... i disagree.... if u are shoooting for the best combo of hp/mpg/and efficiency.. it will heavy haze pre-boost and all but clear up full boost... and even i still have them moments when i'm like i'll show this f&*^er and black stack him.. but mine does smoke because i built it for power... get your reasong straight and u will be golden bud...
not if its electronic. just have a lower low boost fueling. it can haze with boost but not heavy smoke. not a computer diesel it its tuned just right

Old 03-23-2011, 10:34 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone who thinks smoke is power is ignorant or mis-informed. It is unburnt fuel, plain and simple. It doesn't help spooling, it hinders it.

I hate using banks as an example, but look at their top runners. Fast diesels in the world, and smokeless.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:42 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by madmikeismad
Anyone who thinks smoke is power is ignorant or mis-informed. It is unburnt fuel, plain and simple. It doesn't help spooling, it hinders it.

I hate using banks as an example, but look at their top runners. Fast diesels in the world, and smokeless.
the banks sidewinder is a prime example of a truck that could be making 2x the power if it smoked. the sidewinder race team was totaly dropped becasue they were fallign apart, those truck were making around 1000hp on a shitload of nitrous... a pretty stock duramax with a few upgraded internals and a good tune will make the same power with ease, without a ridiculous twin turbo and a shitload of spray.

may sound a little cocky but honestly, give me one of those high end banks engines and let me write a real tune for it and it could build an easy 300 os so extra hp, they are really well built engines... just poor tuning. so yes you can make power and no smoke... but you make more with smoke. banks has done a fine job in proving that big power can be made without smoke, its really what they set out to do and they did it... but like i said you can make more power at the sake of wasting some fuel.

you all REALLY REALLY REALLY need to get over the fact that smoke is unburnt fuel... yes its a waist of fuel, but its the price you pay. ore fuel drives the turbo harder, plain and simple. take a stock 12v, dont touch the wastegate, turn the fuel pump up and watch your turbo make a ton more boost. you need to move more volume through the motor if you want more volume to come out the exhaust and drive the turbine.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:20 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

, so dumping 500cc's on an already smokey 400cc's will make more boost?

Good to know.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

, or what about darren morrison, or stuckey racing? They are running way under 10's and are almost smokeless

Last edited by madmikeismad; 03-23-2011 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-24-2011, 12:12 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by prison
not if its electronic. just have a lower low boost fueling. it can haze with boost but not heavy smoke. not a computer diesel it its tuned just right
mines a computer diesel... it will blow a heavy haze... then completely clear up??? what do i need to do???

Old 03-24-2011, 02:20 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1st_gen_puller
mines a computer diesel... it will blow a heavy haze... then completely clear up??? what do i need to do???
You need a smaller turbo Or another 500cc's of no2

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Here, call these guys and tell them they aren't smoking enough

Last edited by madmikeismad; 03-24-2011 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-25-2011, 11:16 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

ha ha ha no comment..