Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   should i buy it? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/71309-should-i-buy.html)

cummins95 02-27-2011 07:04 PM

should i buy it?

i found a 95 ford L7000 for sale locally n went n checked it out. it has a 5.9CTD with a 175 horse p7100 pump. the trans is an Eaton 5 speed, dont know much more about the trans, but i sure would like to know more. my only eaton experience is with an 8LL in the triaxel.
the truck has a rockwell rear. its a cab/chassis about 35' long from nose to tail
THE BAD: the truck was in an accident, the hood is junk, windshield is smashed, drivers door is junk, drivers side shock was busted off, steering arm is bent so the tire is toed out. also there are no batteries so i couldnt hear it run. (i'll take some along next time)
the guy wants $2850. the damage doesnt really bother me, im more interested in the motor/trans/rear and the rest will most likely be scrapped. if i dont hear it run its a definite no. but im still on the fence about the whole deal.
if i do buy it im gonna have to torch it in half to haul it cuz nobody around here has a gooseneck that long, n i dont think the cops would be to happy seein me pullin that down the highway...

so what do u guys think? do i drop the hammer n open my wallet or pass?

12valvetater 02-27-2011 09:50 PM

I would pass almost 3k for a wrecked truck is a little high.

rednekroper05 02-27-2011 10:07 PM

i would offer 1500 if it runs and see what the guy says.

cummins95 02-28-2011 05:39 AM

i offered 2500 n he said no. n i got to thinkin last night about how hard it would be to find a transfer case for behind that eaton, find a front diff to match the rear, n then all the fabrication to get it into another pickup. so a negative on the ford...

monster12valve 02-28-2011 07:03 AM

that is high...but...i dont think u can find a cummins motor...eaton trans...and the rear end and any other misc parts for 2800. seperate.

cummins95 02-28-2011 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by monster12valve (Post 715642)
that is high...but...i dont think u can find a cummins motor...eaton trans...and the rear end and any other misc parts for 2800. seperate.

:argh: this is what i keep runnin thru my head. i keep goin back n forth. he said he was gonna let the ad expire, so maybe i'll wait a couple weeks n see if 25 100dollar bills wouldnt change his mind... OR do i pull the motor out of my 96 sittin in the field, put it on a stand in the garage n use that 3 grand to build it up a little....:s::s: haha i need help

collinscummins 03-02-2011 01:16 AM

id pull the 96 sittin in the field, but thats just me. 3 grand into that engine would be pretty sweet, id definitely put a set of a cummins marine pistons in, machine off the intake on the block and fab my own, do some serious head porting, o ring it, put a 64mm turbo with a .8something air ratio on it from forced inductions along with an external gate, 60Lb valve springs, get the pump benched, idk how you feel about balancing the crank, some say its needed some don't, then of course whatever suits your fancy injectors, air dog or fass, just some ideas, im sure you know about most of it. I know what i listed is well over 3 grand