Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   please watch this video....whats wrong with my truck?? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/68796-please-watch-video-whats-wrong-my-truck.html)

j_tyler7 01-25-2011 08:34 AM

please watch this video....whats wrong with my truck??

So i replaced the tappet cover gasket....therefore removing the ip and resetting timing to 14.5-15* first it was at 16* but i set it back to 14.5-15* thinking that was a problem. I also added 4k gov springs and 60 lb valve springs. Since I have pretty much ruled out timing through checking it and retiming it I am really not sure whats wrong.....new hypothesis is a pushrod is off and not allowing a valve to open so its exploding inside....its pretty loud...anyway heres the vid please help
Thank you for your time
Justin

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_cEn9Qeq0WQ" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

and heres the link if that doesnt work:

big willy 01-25-2011 08:50 AM

im going with a rod knocking cus that's what mine sounded like except it wasn't that loud other than that i dunno I'd wait for some more input from the big guys

j_tyler7 01-25-2011 09:11 AM

I'm not thinking it would be a rod knocking ....its more of an explosion/detonation sound....it ran like a top before the repairs/mods....only got 117000 miles on it but thank you for the input
Justin

Dallas Flywheels 01-25-2011 09:53 AM

:argh: Sounds like a problem in the valve train. Check pushrods and valve settings.:tttt:

diesel pap 01-25-2011 10:50 AM

im thinking something wrong with a pushrod

kieron_kohlmann 01-25-2011 06:47 PM

i dont think its a valve not opening. if you had a stuck exhaust valve you wouldnt be able to release the burned gases, and unable to take in more on the intake stroke. i would say it sounds like pre detonation by how quick the pops are coming.

brindle_bull 01-25-2011 08:01 PM

somthing went wrong with the installation of the valve springs.

big willy 01-25-2011 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by diesel pap (Post 695826)
im thinking something wrong with a pushrod

i agree and they can be very loud to once they get bad when you revved it up that's exactly how mine sounded but it wasn't that bad i'd say you might wanna take it to a shop if you feel like driving it and let them have a look at it

tiremann9669 01-25-2011 08:56 PM

Wouldn't hurt to pull the valve covers and take a look. :c:

j_tyler7 01-26-2011 10:07 AM

Well thank you for all of your input. The problem proved to be quite nominal. I had gotten all of the valvetrain correctly installed.....HOWEVER...i rechecked valve lash and on the fifth cylinder exhaust I didnt get the locknut on the adjusting screw very tight so that explains how the problem worsened and was fine at start up....through driving it the adjuster backed out and the pushrod came off therefore the exhaust was not opening so I had an explosion that couldn't escape in my engine. the pushrod was off to the side and obvious through visual inspection. I removed it and it was not bent, rechecked valve lash and tightened those locknuts down tight. It runs awesome now!!!! thanks again,
Justin

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by kieron_kohlmann (Post 696119)
i dont think its a valve not opening. if you had a stuck exhaust valve you wouldnt be able to release the burned gases, and unable to take in more on the intake stroke. i would say it sounds like pre detonation by how quick the pops are coming.

turns out it wasn't opening ....explaining the hideous sound!!! lol

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by tiremann9669 (Post 696214)
Wouldn't hurt to pull the valve covers and take a look. :c:

it sure didn't hurt:tu:.....would have been dissapointed taking it to a shop....and there isn't anyone very close that's worth a crap:argh: