Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   please help (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/68532-please-help.html)

l004* 01-21-2011 07:58 PM

please help

i have 97 dodge i change auto trans for shifting probloms and slipping. was putting fluid in it quit charging,radio quit tach quit and will not shift. i changed crank sencer did not fix . found trans wires rubbing in wireing harniss and fixed but nuthing changed . code reader will not link. is the ecm burned up and the new trans shifting sel or is there other problem?:argh:

12vcummins96 01-23-2011 09:48 AM

well to give you an idea changing the fluid isnt gonna fix the tranny from slipping its time fore an overhaul
sounds like you got a bad short some where and it sounds like a bad ecm
i hope this helps

Moparpower440 01-23-2011 10:05 AM

Did you check ALL the fuses? If I remember right there is a fuse in the dash that has a "cover" over it. If that blows most of the things your describing won't work.

c12vpwr 01-23-2011 11:53 AM

i have the same problem with my 96 and i have a code reader it dose not show any codes and i had my trans rebuilt 3months ago so still has warrenty and trans shop looked at it and siad it was the shif cable that gose from the throttle linkeg to the trans but i never changed it bc im wanting to do a manual swap the part is like 100 dollars at a dodge dealer

bsnyder47 01-26-2011 01:13 PM

If you have everything fixed try unplugging your battery for awhile then hook it back up that should reset your computer

boss3500 01-26-2011 05:36 PM

with the batteries unhooked [both of them,lol] touch the positive and negative terminals together......older PCM's have a small on board battery in them to hold codes and stuff in the event dead batteries ......"shorting" the terminals should reset the PCM [as per village dodge Hudson NY]

kieron_kohlmann 01-26-2011 05:44 PM

if its a '97 the computer isnt that stupid. Its required to retain that info even if its disconnected. see if you have power and ground going to the computer. if not well thats your problem. I would do some more digging. its easy to condemn the parts we know the least about. remember there is a Data link fuse to power up for scanner...

adub12valve 01-26-2011 06:31 PM

If you have it hooked up to a scanner and its not reading it could be your pcm. Im in the same boat as you. Does your truck run fine and everything just no power or wont shift?

kieron_kohlmann 01-26-2011 06:48 PM

Im just talking from years of experience working in a dealership hooking of DRB3's everyday. if your computer is shot you will see wrong more than just no communication. you have problems that are along the lines of a bad one such as no charging or shifting but the radio should not be related. The radio is considered a separate module from the PCM. Everything you are stating though is controlled by key on power. In order to communicate with any modules you need the key on power to the them. Before you go drop a couple hundred bucks on a computer i think it would be worth the time to do some easy testing.

adub12valve 01-26-2011 08:20 PM

Not trying to jack the thread but Kieron my PCM is fried, I did checked everything and even took it to a shop, I have a 98 auto what years of computers could I get. The dealerships are a bit too spendy, but if I have to get theirs I will. Thanks :tu: