Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   Auto trans rebuild time? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/62935-auto-trans-rebuild-time.html)

Swinky 11-15-2010 07:43 PM

Auto trans rebuild time?

Okay guys my trans has just slowly been going away for the past couple of months, shifts okay but slips horribly I got beat by a stock 7.3 the other day:argh: anyways its starting to come back to life and isnt slipping near as bad. I drove the piss out of it yesterday and got in it today and the thing feels way better. Is there any way I have so much grit in my fluid that its gripping more? I know im rambling and it sounds stupid but I just want to know what would cause this.

blazier18 11-16-2010 06:48 PM

idk have u checked ur fluid? mine dont slip at all so i couldnt tell u yes or no. it could also be bands need adjusting i had mine adjusted well over a month ago. wat color or smell is your fluid?

monster12valve 11-16-2010 07:17 PM

truck building the same boost as it was when it was slipping? unfortunetly u cant beat ur tranny into being stronger:argh:.... prob need a hd tc

v8440 11-16-2010 07:41 PM

Let me see if I understand this correctly: Your transmission has been giving you trouble for MONTHS, but you raced your truck the other day? Am I the only person who sees something wrong here? Have you checked even the most basic of things, like: Is the fluid level correct? What does the fluid look like? If your truck has a manual kickdown linkage, is it adjusted properly? If you don't know the answer to any of these questions, or don't understand what they're about, stop racing your truck and get someone who knows what they're doing to look at the transmission. I'm sorry if I come across as harsh here, but if you race a truck with a slipping transmission you're basically formally requesting in writing to have the transmission fail on you.

I can promise you this: If it fails and you have to foot the bill yourself, you will have a newfound respect for both your truck and the cost of abusing it.

Swinky 11-19-2010 07:06 AM

The trans is stock with 185k on it. It went out completely the day after I posted that. I guess its just one of those things that runs its best right before it goes out.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by v8440 (Post 653172)
I can promise you this: If it fails and you have to foot the bill yourself, you will have a newfound respect for both your truck and the cost of abusing it.

Yeah I knew it was going to need to be rebuilt so I didnt even really care try and take care of it. and i was getting 9 mpg with it slipping as bad as it was diesels 3.20 a gallon here soo thats not happening.

v8440 11-22-2010 09:03 AM

It must have been slipping something terrible to get 9 mpg. Hopefully it didn't eat a bunch of hard parts up when it went.

12vcummins96 11-22-2010 05:01 PM

i agree:ouch:

Cody Cummins 11-24-2010 03:04 AM

yea i had mine rebuilt at 165k got 242k on it now and everything seems to be smooth! But here is a tip, when you do get it rebuilt make sure and do it right, and put some heavy duty parts in!

big willy 11-24-2010 11:40 AM

yes heavy duty parts is the best thing you can do next to just going out and buying a suncoast or something cus i've got a stock tranny that'll hold 600 hp thanks to some heavy duty parts