Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   Cheap cold weather tips (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/62522-cheap-cold-weather-tips.html)

12Vdodge 11-08-2010 10:01 PM

Cheap cold weather tips

Hey guys, now that winter is knocking on our door steps I was just curious what some other fellow bombers are doing for cheap cold fronts?

cummins95 11-08-2010 10:54 PM

dont let big brother catch ya but a little kerosene will keep ur fuel from gellin up:w2:. all the fuel companies this far north have a winter blend fuel, but it doesnt hurt to have a little extra protection. plus pluggin your truck in will make the starter's job alot easier. if your gonna start it n let it warm up, use a stick or somethin between the pedal n the seat to bump your idle to about 1200 rpms. me personally, i fold the mirrors in n park the beast in the garage haha.

on a side note im not sure what happened on facebook earlier but my chat just quit workin on me

kegs99 11-08-2010 11:28 PM

how much kerosene u addin to the fuel? certain mix? any noticeable changes other than antigel protection?

and since the question has already been asked about cold weather protection, what about oil pan heaters, battery wraps/trickle chargers, and so on. what about trans fluid?

Farmboy 2.0 11-08-2010 11:39 PM

For you auto guys put the tranny in nuetral to help warm up the fluid because the gears will turn etc. For a cheap cold front just stick some cardboard between the intercooler and the radiator

Dr. Evil 11-09-2010 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by kegs99 (Post 649408)
what about oil pan heaters, battery wraps/trickle chargers, and so on. what about trans fluid?

Oil pan heaters are definitely good - there are the magnet type or the other type that get glued to the oilpan (Wolvarine is one name that comes to mind). Trickle chargers are great of course as long as your batteries arent frozen. Battery blankets are good too but if you plug them for more than half of an hour when its warmer than -30, you will boil the battery dry. For the tranny, you could also use an oil pan heater. But thats not going to help the truck start any easier in the cold.

Other things you can do is switch to a 5W40 or 0W40 synthetic oil. Doing so helps a whole lot.

The best money that you can spend is on an Espar or Webasto hydronic coolant heater. But they are far from cheap.

Also, be sure to regularily empty your water seperator. I had one freeze up when it was minus 30. It was a fun job fixing that.

blazier18 11-10-2010 03:28 PM

i just get stuff my dad has for his peterbilt and put in there then plug it up on the coldest nights i dont want it to get addicted to it

Dr. Evil 11-11-2010 01:18 AM

huh?

12vpwr 11-12-2010 02:34 PM

a quart of tranny fluid with every other fill up or so doesnt hurt. it acts as a great anti-geller, plus keeps all the fuel lines nice and lubricated

randemelissa 11-14-2010 10:56 PM

please, please, please, dont add anything to the fuel except anti gelling fuel additive. if tranny fluid was good for the truck, don't you think that it would be marketed that way? use only approved additives. kerosene isn't a good idea either. it's meant for other things, not fuel. good luck.

rande

Pyro690 11-15-2010 08:02 AM

I have some 1/8" plastic bolted to my grill for a winter front. It was scraps I found at work, just took some time to trim it and drill some holes. Six bolts hold each side on and I keep a cordless impact with me in case I need to take them out. :c: