Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   dropping trans (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/62516-dropping-trans.html)

94 5 speed 11-08-2010 09:33 PM

dropping trans

im changing my clutch in my 94 12v to change the clutch. my problem is that on the cross member i cant get to the top two nuts that are in the frame. are they supposed to be just threaded to the frame or am i doing something wrong:argh:
is there an easy way to just moving the trans back to switch the clutch?

95 12v 11-09-2010 05:17 AM

you should be able to get to the top two nuts with a couple extensions and a wrench. I personally think its easier to unbolt the transmission from the bell housing first it makes it easier to get to the bell housing bolts it was just easier to me

cumminspwr11 11-09-2010 10:26 AM

just use like a 2+foot extension and the bell housing bolts a easy, the cross member bolts should come out pretty esay, there are nuts on the backsides inside the frame, the first few times i pulled the cross member is was told to use a big hammer and work it out form between the frame rails, then someone showed me what a porta power was all about, lol

1AMatt 11-09-2010 11:20 AM

I believe there should be a hole cut in the other side of the frame, for you to access the nut on the inside of the frame. A big extension and you will have no problem :tu:

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Also, the cross member is usually pretty snug between the two frame rails. If you have trouble smashing it out with a sledge hammer take a bottle jack and a 2x4 to spread the rails apart a little bit. Then it usually comes out with minimal effort.

94 5 speed 11-09-2010 02:51 PM

i got the crossmember off and all the bellhousing bolts and now the shifter assembly is getting caught on the floor :argh: i cant see how to get it out :argh:

cumminspwr11 11-09-2010 04:34 PM

it will either have a few 10mm bolts to pull out on the top of the trans or it will be a spring loaded thing that you have to push down and twist, its a real bitch sometimes, im sure there is a special tool for it but i was dick around with different shaped pliers until i get it

joshmock 11-09-2010 10:11 PM

yeah, he's (cumminspwr11) right. i had a youtube video of it but couldn't find it. just find something that fits down into the top and on either side of the shifting nub sticking up - hence maybe a wrench. push down because it's spring loaded and turn to the left i think, after a couple precise and calculated tries it should pop out for ya.

cumminspwr11 11-12-2010 08:26 PM

getting out is easy lol its putting it back in thats not fun

94 5 speed 11-12-2010 10:21 PM

well couldnt get the shifter off but it turns out the previouse owner cut a little channel out in the floor to drop the trans. im glad cause i could not get the shifter off for anything:argh:

dan33klein 11-12-2010 10:30 PM

you use like an 1/1/8 open ened wrench to pry down and turb counter clockwise. then the shifter comes right out