Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   truck won't start, there's smoke but no fire (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/58672-truck-wont-start-theres-smoke-but-no-fire.html)

jpfiero 09-14-2010 02:56 PM

truck won't start, there's smoke but no fire

I just finished putting the engine back in my truck after completely disassembling it and putting it back together.

I've got fuel at the injectors, but the truck just smokes and won't start, any ideas what it could be?

The truck is a '96 12v 5spd.

aaronmoore 09-14-2010 02:59 PM

i had one one time where the timing wasnt right on pump and and it did the same thing.after a engine changeover.

jpfiero 09-14-2010 03:12 PM

Thanks that was what I was afraid of :argh: I borrowed the pump timing tools and set the timing but apparently I did it wrong. Still not sure what I could of done wrong, anyone else find the instructions extremely hard to understand? I read through them about 20 times and still screwed it up somehow:dang::argh:

Anyways, now I can't borrow the pump timing tools again since my brother quit at cummins:argh:, anyone know if I could set the timing with a standard dial guage?

Sorry for the rant I'm starting to get extremely frustrated with this truck, any other ideas on what it could be?

I forgot to mention I have the kill solenoid tied all the way up.

Thanks

Dr. Evil 09-14-2010 04:16 PM

Snap On is just a phone call away. They have everything you need. P/N: SP-500 I believe...I would loan mine to you if I had them...

You can set the timing with a regular dial guage but you need something to hold the dial in #1 delivery of the pump. A barring tool is also very handy.

jpfiero 09-14-2010 05:22 PM

I got the truck to start but it ran terrible, I had to pull the gear and advance it a little bit. I did this by making a mark on the gear and shaft, but I have no way of accurately setting the timing. I would like to buy the tools but they don't stock them in my area and I would like to get it running and out of my shop. If I can get it running good enough to drive 30 mins. I can get a shop to do it for $110, but I don't want to wreck anything by driving it.

Do you know if it's possible to damage the engine if the timing is incorrect? is it safe for me to try adjusting it some more and see if I can get it to run better?

Thanks for the help guys:tu::c:

ltr450 09-14-2010 08:04 PM

i would adjust it a little more to get it to run better then take it to someone. if your going to keep on changing the timing by the tool if it is a one time deal take it to some one it is cheaper

geddy's uncle 09-14-2010 08:43 PM

i'm just posting to get past the initial 10.... I'm a nooooooobie, and can't currently send a PM to anybody.:pca1:

jpfiero 09-14-2010 10:54 PM

I got it to run a lot better:jump:, I think it is advanced a few degrees above stock right now, I found out about the pin that locks the injection pump at tdc then I set the engine at tdc and twisted the pump shaft a VERY little bit ahead and cranked it down.:yeah:

Thanks alot for the help guys, I was about to light a match and walk away:w2: