Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   Have you removed your fuel heater? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/57861-have-you-removed-your-fuel-heater.html)

jpfiero 09-01-2010 02:18 PM

Have you removed your fuel heater?

I've got problems with my fuel heater, and I want to find out if anyone that lives in a real cold climate has removed it and noticed a difference?

Where I live we get some days below -40 (Celsius or Fahrenheit). I have read that the fuel heater doesn't do much since it is located before the filter and injection pump, and that would seem to make sense:humm:.I know the truck probably won't start with out plugging in for a few hours, but just wondering if the fuel heater makes a difference.

12vcummins96 09-01-2010 02:26 PM

dont worry about that pos

Dr. Evil 09-01-2010 02:29 PM

Still have mine - not sure if it makes a difference or not. Probably not.

When it gets below -25 deg C my 12V does not like to run - even when its been plugged in for 6 hours and 0W40 synthetic oil.

jpfiero 09-01-2010 07:21 PM

I guess I'll try removing it and see what happens, sounds like I need to invent one that heats the fuel right before the injector:humm:.

Dr. Evil 09-01-2010 07:45 PM

I really cant see it doing much

brindle_bull 09-01-2010 07:48 PM

mine had a short and melted the plug so i just took it off all together and never had a starting issue ever....it doesnt get that cold here but there were a few 0 degree days last winter and fired right up, had it plugged in all night of coarse.:tu:

bluetj 09-03-2010 05:05 PM

I was going to ask the same question. I noticed when I pulled my motor the plug was melted bad enough it couldn't be unplugged so I cut the wires. When you guys removed it did you put any spacer or anything between the pump and block or trim the pushrod down? I was planning on removing the whole thing and making all new fuel line till I get an airdog but wasn't sure if the pushrod would be too long without it there. Sorry to hijack your thread man

jpfiero 09-03-2010 06:51 PM

you can just remove the fuel heater and leave the pre-screener bowl on the truck, here's directions:

-unscrew the bottom of the pre-screener/fuel heater assembly
-remove nut holding pre-screener in place
-remove pre-screener
-insert large allen key into center of threaded adapter and unscrew
-remove heater assembly
-reinstall pre-screener assembly directly to housing leaving out heater and threaded adapter

If you want to completely remove the pre-screener unit I guess you could cut off the base of the mount to use as a spacer for the lift pump. I wouldn't grind down the push rod because it rides on the cam shaft and if its not nice and smooth it may destroy the lobe it rides on and then you won't have any lift pump. I'm not sure it's a good idea to eliminate the prescreener, but maybe it's not very important.

blackimpala 09-14-2010 09:10 AM

Take it off, it will eliminate problems later.

Floyd

tiremann9669 09-14-2010 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by jpfiero (Post 614586)
I guess I'll try removing it and see what happens, sounds like I need to invent one that heats the fuel right before the injector:humm:.

When a truck gells up it is usually in the filter, just use a good anti jelling additive in the winter. :c: