Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   AC doesn't work.. common problems? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/52554-ac-doesnt-work-common-problems.html)

tltruckparts 06-14-2010 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by 85_305 (Post 573208)
So it'd be about 100 bucks to diagnose/fix the ac? I see your point with everything else.

around here everyone charges 150 bucks. thats vacuum everything out, pressurize the system, and fill with freon (and oil if necessary). thats including all the freon and everything too. and im in california where everything is twice as expensive

85_305 06-14-2010 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by 94 12valve (Post 573217)
does the compressor clutch engauge when the in cab control in turned on? thats where you need to start. have the truck idle, turn the ac on, and look to see if the clutch enguages ( would be super easy with two people)

Dont know I'll chekc it out though!

Originally Posted by tltruckparts (Post 573231)
around here everyone charges 150 bucks. thats vacuum everything out, pressurize the system, and fill with freon (and oil if necessary). thats including all the freon and everything too. and im in california where everything is twice as expensive

Ok good deal thanks man :tu:

96dodgeplayer 06-19-2010 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by 94 12valve (Post 573217)
does the compressor clutch engauge when the in cab control in turned on? thats where you need to start. have the truck idle, turn the ac on, and look to see if the clutch enguages ( would be super easy with two people)

you compressor clutch wont do nothing if you have no R134a in it. its a fail safe feature. and the ac is a closed system. if nothing is in your lines. you more then likly have a leak. fix the leak. replace it. new o rings. oil them up before you put them in with PAG oil. go to harbor frieght and buy a vacumm if you have a compressor at home. vacumm cost 8 dollars. and by the a/c gauges. at harbor frieght for like 40 dollars. never fill on the HIGH (red) side. always on the low. and read up on how much you need and how to read the gauges before you do it.

its not that hard. i watched a youtube video and learned that way on my first try. just be careful. with a temp in the vents. my ac now blows 16.4 degress F

85_305 06-19-2010 10:45 AM

what the f*ck 16.4*?? That sounds a bit too cold lol

tltruckparts 06-19-2010 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by 96dodgeplayer (Post 575958)
you compressor clutch wont do nothing if you have no R134a in it. its a fail safe feature. and the ac is a closed system. if nothing is in your lines. you more then likly have a leak. fix the leak. replace it. new o rings. oil them up before you put them in with PAG oil. go to harbor frieght and buy a vacumm if you have a compressor at home. vacumm cost 8 dollars. and by the a/c gauges. at harbor frieght for like 40 dollars. never fill on the HIGH (red) side. always on the low. and read up on how much you need and how to read the gauges before you do it.

its not that hard. i watched a youtube video and learned that way on my first try. just be careful. with a temp in the vents. my ac now blows 16.4 degress F

alot of people fill it on the high side actually. but you NEVER do this with the engine running. normally you charge the high side before there is enough to engage the compressor. than you close up the high side, fire it up, and resume on low. it works a little better