Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   Valve Lash Adjustment Help (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/51556-valve-lash-adjustment-help.html)

jumpnjed 05-27-2010 10:49 AM

Valve Lash Adjustment Help

I have read the info on here about doing the adjustments on the valves. I saw that if you dont have a bearing tool that you could rotate it with the alternator pulley bolt. It said that if you use this method that it will rotate the engine backwards so make sure your adjusting the right valves. If i did it with the alternator bolt what will change:humm:? It also said that I could use the balancer pulley bolt, will this also rotate the engine backwards? Im trying to get all the questions answered so when i start I want have any problems... Any help would greatly be appreciated..Thx in advance:tu:

94 12valve 05-27-2010 11:06 AM

valve lash is pretty simple

here is how to do it

B Series Valve Adjustment

big bad diesel 416 05-27-2010 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by jumpnjed (Post 564259)
I have read the info on here about doing the adjustments on the valves. I saw that if you dont have a bearing tool that you could rotate it with the alternator pulley bolt. It said that if you use this method that it will rotate the engine backwards so make sure your adjusting the right valves. If i did it with the alternator bolt what will change:humm:? It also said that I could use the balancer pulley bolt, will this also rotate the engine backwards? Im trying to get all the questions answered so when i start I want have any problems... Any help would greatly be appreciated..Thx in advance:tu:

Baring tool can go forwards or backwards
off the alternator only backwards other wise the belt slips
off the crank forwards or backwards

That means you adj backwards read above link but your backwards

Hope that helped

Brice

jumpnjed 05-27-2010 12:28 PM

I guess im hard headed but the directions say that if you dont have the bearing tool that you can rotate it by the alternator pulley bolt, it states that if i do it this way that it will rotate the engine backwards and that i need to make sure that im adjusting the correct valves. What exactly is it meaning? I understand the directions if I have the bearing tool and I understand the order they need to be done if you have the bearing tool. Dont mean to be complicated I just want to understand whats going on bc I dont have the bearing tool to rotate it so I wanna do it without it and just want to understand before I screw something up.. THX

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I figured it out.. It was one of those times I didnt read carefully enough and I wasnt using my noggin.. :se:

F-350a'cummin 11-08-2012 07:05 PM

use the dampener bolts, turn them clock wise, make sure its in neutral. intake valve .015 exhaust valves .030. pin the cam on tdc #1 and run both on one, then intake on 2, exhaust on 3, intake on 4, exhaust on 5... roll it over once ( mark dampener so that your mark and the belt line up and roll it over til they line up again) then do both on 6, intake on 5, exhaust on 4, intake on 3, exhaust on 2 . be sure to pull the plug b4 you roll over to tdc 6!!! youll rip the tit off of it

tiremann9669 11-08-2012 10:47 PM

I hope after 2 years he figured it out :w2:

F-350a'cummin 11-09-2012 04:22 PM

lmao my bad i didnt even look at the date, i screwed it up any way, the 5.9s are .010 and .020 lol, im a CAT tech and all our strait 6's get .015 and .030

Kevin Ratliff 11-09-2012 04:29 PM

is there anyone on here i can ask a few questions about a powerstroke?

angelic0- 11-09-2012 05:29 PM

For your 97 Powerstroke you want to post in this section:
Ford Powerstroke 94-98 7.3L - Diesel Bombers