12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps
View Poll Results: When I start the truck with the turbo on, will something blow?
If nothing is blown now, doesn't sound funny, and no shavings no you'll be fine
58.82%
Very good chance or a positive chance something will blow when turbo is attached
41.18%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Lets assume my motor was ran out of oil very briefly...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Being Evaluated
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

They put on a new damper (old one was rotting from the leaking oil), front cover was welded (prev owners had the kdp fall out, cracked the case up. Put gasketmaker in place of the kdp), new gasket, timing was already set to 14* but I had it timed to 16.5*, and the new turbo.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kazairl
What? You might want to clarify that statement. Right now you sound like a world class idiot.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

That would be called blowby. Combustion gases escaping past the rings and into the crankcase.
I may sound like a world class idiot, but only to those who are. If you have info to the contrary, then post it. If not, then I'll let you figure out the truth for yourself. I'm done with this forum. Nothing but kids posting the same useless crap. I've gained nothing from being here as none of the more technical questions are ever answered by anyone knowledgeable and I've only tried helping people, yet no one ever uses the good advice they are given, even if it's from others.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

well the fact that you say the oil filter bypasses most of the oil and doesn't filter it, is what makes me do a double take. It is true yes, that it has a bypass in it. However that is only used once the differential across the filter gets high(as in, dirty or plugged filter). Thats the only time it will bypass around the filter, otherwise all the oil goes through your oil filter. Its a safety measure to ensure your engine gets oil even if the operator isn't smart enough to do his maintenance.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:20 PM
Being Evaluated

^Wow thats pretty neat.. I didn't know that. Thanks

Old 04-24-2010, 11:08 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by kazairl
well the fact that you say the oil filter bypasses most of the oil and doesn't filter it, is what makes me do a double take. It is true yes, that it has a bypass in it. However that is only used once the differential across the filter gets high(as in, dirty or plugged filter). Thats the only time it will bypass around the filter, otherwise all the oil goes through your oil filter. Its a safety measure to ensure your engine gets oil even if the operator isn't smart enough to do his maintenance.
Half right. It is correct that the reason for the bypass valve is its supposed to save your engine from oil starvation in the case of a plugged filter. From my experience, you would be lucky to get a filter which bypasses above 20psi. After cold startup before the oil has had a chance to thin and clearances settle, not all oil is filtered and a good amount is bypassed because of the large pressure drop across the filter and the crappy bypass designs. Most don't seem to work right and bypass before they should. There are true full flow filters out there which do not have a bypass valve, but I'm not sure if I'd recommend them. I will admit that I am somewhat inexperienced with these engines and my statement was a generalization, but If these trucks happen to have a higher than normal bypass pressure or no bypass in all of their filters, I would be suprised.

I apologize for my outburst earlier. I was in a bad mood and the name calling struck a nerve.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by guhfluh
I may sound like a world class idiot, but only to those who are. If you have info to the contrary, then post it. If not, then I'll let you figure out the truth for yourself. I'm done with this forum. Nothing but kids posting the same useless crap. I've gained nothing from being here as none of the more technical questions are ever answered by anyone knowledgeable and I've only tried helping people, yet no one ever uses the good advice they are given, even if it's from others.
Just my opinion, as I have nothing at stake here, there are a lot of people telling you that you are wasting money on this rig, you need a rebuild or a different engine. If you have "excessive" blow by then you have massive amounts of exhaust gas, as well as unburned diesel going straight into your oil. From past experience I can tell you that that stuff is acidic as all get out, and tends to lessen the lubricity of oil. I've watched a couple engines--not mine thank goodness--blow to hell because they were run way past their rebuild needs. As you mechanic pointed out, you have oil leaking into your exhaust manifold, that is not going to do your turbo any good at all, in fact could collect in the housing, light off, and burn up your new turbo. They can only handle so much heat. Just like darn near every one else on this thread, I'm going to have to say it: Rebuild it or Scrap it. That is unless you like seeing parts shooting out of your hood or fenders..... By the way, I have seen that happen as well, it is not cool. The engine I watched shooting parts out was full of oil, not leaking, but was showing excessive blow by, and loss of power; e.g. it was worn out.
Never the less, best of luck!

Old 04-24-2010, 01:40 PM
Diesel Fan

It is not my truck. I don't know why you quoted me.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:50 PM
Being Evaluated

Ya I'm in a tight spot here. I'm pretty pissed I got scammed on this. My wife gave me the "ok" to buy a commonrail though, so I think I'm selling this and getting my CR.

Any bidders?

Old 04-24-2010, 08:55 PM
High Tech Redneck

Received 496 Likes on 397 Posts

How did you get scammed?

Old 04-24-2010, 09:20 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

seen alot of common rails not even make it to 100,000 miles so im going to keep buying 200,000 mile 12 valves and take my chances of getting "scammed"

Quick Reply: Lets assume my motor was ran out of oil very briefly...