Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   starter contacts (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/47441-starter-contacts.html)

wisconsin redneck 03-29-2010 12:11 PM

starter contacts

so i just ordered the super sized contacts from larryb's because when i turn the key the starter will just click once..... and if i turn the key enough ill get lucky and itll turn over and start... how hard is it to take the starter off and take it apart? oh and its not the relay cause i replaced that and it still does the same thing..:argh:

85_305 03-29-2010 04:47 PM

Take it from me.. I just :edit: this VERY operation up 2 weekends ago!! Doing the CONTACTS, is a piece of cake. Hardest part in changing out the contacts (which you will see are VERY poorly worn I'll bet) is getting the top 10mm, 12-point bolt out of the starter. The rest is cake and straight forward. Now the part that screwed me HARD, was when I had to solder the brush-kit I also bought to the brass ring. It's not gonna happen unless you have a mini torch and are VERY skilled with it. My brushes were wore down BAD, but I'd be willing to bet if I had only replaced the contacts the starter would have worked for another who knows.. 20, 30k miles?? But the contacts are easy. 20mins starter out, 1:30 to tear apart, 1:30 to put in new contacts, 15mins to put starter back in (if you work slow and precise like me.)

glfredrick 03-30-2010 10:08 AM

Why the difficulty in soldering the brushes? I've heard this in other places also.

Do you have to silver solder? Did you use proper flux? Makes a world of difference.

85_305 03-30-2010 12:48 PM

Because unless you have TORCH, and it's small enough to hold in one hand and solder something very small and steady-handed, its not going to work. Yes I fluxed it, I used regular solder (my dads an electrician.. he actually tried it) and its just TOO much. Proffesionals can do it (who have done this before) but my proffesional dad and myself couldn't get it to grab and work.

wisconsin redneck 03-30-2010 07:46 PM

ok so yesterday evening i got the starter off and taken apart.... went pretty good... i just used a 10mm wrench and believe it or not i just used a rachet strap to break the bolts off.... it was a piece of cake.... i got it all torn apart....with one little problem...:argh: one of the 3 bolts holding the plate on that you take off to get at the contacts snapped in half... the head busted off when i went to turn in.... now can i run it with 2 bolts and still have that gasket seal? or should i drill and tap it out again... :argh:

85_305 03-30-2010 08:17 PM

I wouldn't push it man. These things take so many amps and crank with so much power bad things can happen. But maybe someone here knows better.

hdsidehack 03-30-2010 10:45 PM

let it ride
had one in the shop last week with only one bolt left in it
it was still working

85_305 03-31-2010 11:27 AM

Sounds like a ticking timebomb to me.. those plungers move with some power

wisconsin redneck 03-31-2010 12:04 PM

damn... i think untill i get some more time to fix it the right way ill just throw it back on with 2 bolts cause im leaving for hawaii for a week on friday :jump: and i need to drive the truck over to my buddies barn... ill fix it right when i get home :tu:

85_305 03-31-2010 12:06 PM

Ya it will be ok short-term, but long term I'd deff look to getting that other bolt in there