Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   Need to replace front cover gasket; do timing and kdp at same time? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/44921-need-replace-front-cover-gasket-do-timing-kdp-same-time.html)

85_305 02-28-2010 03:54 PM

Need to replace front cover gasket; do timing and kdp at same time?

Well my front cover leaks, so I was wondering if I should do the timing and kdp at the same time?

What exactly is involved with advanced the timing? I figure about 15-15.5* should be good? Future plans are fuel plate, star wheel, intake, exhaust, and hopefully injectors and call it a day
Also, where can I buy a kdp kit at?

Matt

TwinStackPete379 02-28-2010 05:20 PM

IMO

make your own tab for the KDP.. then the money you save yourself from not buying the "kit"..and spend it on other mods.

Timing is kinda a confusing thing to do. you will have to get a timimg kit or find a shop that does it.. best bet is to find a guy who does it alot and have him do it while you watch and take notes.. after that invest in a timing kit so when you advance your mods you can tweak your timing. Just be carefull with it. 16* should be pretty good with a stock HG and stock Head bolts. any more it might give you fits.

85_305 02-28-2010 05:29 PM

Excellent, thanks brother.

Links to how to fix the kdp myself? How much would a shop charge to advance the timing?

monster12valve 02-28-2010 05:37 PM

were are you located?

BRE 02-28-2010 05:40 PM

X2 on the making your own tab.

TwinStackPete379 02-28-2010 05:41 PM

well i just dug in on mine.:w2:. its an easy job just time consuming. get a new gasket and make sure you replace your front seal. make sure you check the crank surface and see if you will need a speedy sleeve with the new seal. Where you located? Make a " Tear drop " shaped tap out of some thin metal. drill a hole in it and take the bolt out right beside it and put it on there. i used Blue Loctite on the bolt thread. depending on how thick your tab is you might have to get a longer bolt.

85_305 02-28-2010 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by monster12valve (Post 505254)
were are you located?

Buffalo NY

Originally Posted by BRE (Post 505258)
X2 on the making your own tab.

If it's anything like twinstackpete described, the HELL with that lol

Originally Posted by TwinStackPete379 (Post 505260)
well i just dug in on mine.:w2:. its an easy job just time consuming. get a new gasket and make sure you replace your front seal. make sure you check the crank surface and see if you will need a speedy sleeve with the new seal. Where you located? Make a " Tear drop " shaped tap out of some thin metal. drill a hole in it and take the bolt out right beside it and put it on there. i used Blue Loctite on the bolt thread. depending on how thick your tab is you might have to get a longer bolt.