Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   looking at buying a cummins got some questions (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/40908-looking-buying-cummins-got-some-questions.html)

6.5coalroller 01-16-2010 02:53 PM

looking at buying a cummins got some questions

I'm possibly looking to sell my 6.5 and buy a cummins. I found a 97 2500 regular cab 2wd with 159k all stock for around 5k. I'm wanting to know if there is anything I need to look for when looking at these trucks. Also I am only buying basically in a quest for power I lyk my 6.5 but they are not a great powerhouse being an idi motor. Wanting to know if the tranny would be alright changing fuel plates and tieing the wastegate shut for a while. Also at what point would I need head studs or o ringed cylinders? Timing change, bigger fuel plate, bigger injectors, pump turned up, wastegate tied shut how much power could I see. Not looking to build a pulling truck jus 4 or 500 hp. Would really lyk to make it surge lol I lyk that sound how can that be done.

wes-cummins 01-16-2010 02:59 PM

manual trannys can take alot, autos cant. either way if you beef it up you will advantually need tranny upgrades, you shuldnt need head studs unless you get different turbo and take timing past 17

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

you can get alot of power out of a 12 valve without costing much, read through the threads and you will find lots of ways to get power out of it,

BigDiesel359 01-17-2010 10:25 AM

I would advise trans. upgrades before ANY power upgrades. That way you won't blow your trans while you are on your quest for power and be left without a truck while you try to come up with the $$$ to get another one. I wish I had have bought a Cummins truck first instead of the 6.5, that way I wouldn't have lost so much money doing the swap after the 6.5 blew all to hell.

TwinStackPete379 01-17-2010 10:58 AM

Id put gauges in it first. Then tune from there on. You will be suprised the heat you can create by sliding plate and or removing. Spend your money wisely. like the others said. Stock Auto will not handle plate changes well. Manual, you can get away with it for a little longer but will still need an upgrade. Good luck

6.5coalroller 01-18-2010 07:34 PM

Thats what I figured. What can I do to the tranny to beef it up? What brands?

bowtech 01-18-2010 07:47 PM

valve body and even a single disk billit tc could hold 350 400 hp

haulitrite 01-18-2010 10:52 PM

I never owned a suncoast but have heard nothing but good things about the but you will have to pay for the quality.

joey 01-18-2010 10:58 PM

If its a standard you might need a better cluch but at first you wont. i would start by puttin in gauges and then grinding the plate delivery vaulves injectors and a turbo to rap it all up. My best advice is dont be in a hurry to buy stuff take your time and talk to people about what works and whats good before you spend alot of money. good luck have fun :tu:

BigDiesel359 01-19-2010 07:41 AM

If it's a Dodge auto, go Goerend.