Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   nv4500 jumps out of 5th gear (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/37537-nv4500-jumps-out-5th-gear.html)

joshmock 12-05-2009 01:55 PM

on the shaft for the 5th gear nut their are grooves, i've found that when re-installing the nut after you have torqed the heck outta it with a hammer, take yourself a chissel or flat head and find the point on the nut that is in line with the grooves in the shaft. take the chissel and make an indention on the nut down into the grooves of the shaft. this should keep her from baking off on you. also, make sure that you check the springs and the and the little pieces they push out (forgot what to call them) on the clutch ring to make sure it's functioning properly.

Jet A Fuel 12-05-2009 02:50 PM

I would suggest a full spline output shaft and a nut and gear.

Originally Posted by Rx7man (Post 444338)
I've had the 5th gear nut come off, and replaced the driven gear and upgraded the nut, but my tranny will pop out of 5th gear (shifter actually jumps into neutral).. seems like this would be a good thread to look for that problem and maybe its the same problem Rexy is having.. to me it only happens on decel

RX7, this problem is the synchro on the fifth gear, its on the counter shaft and the assy is held on with a snap ring the synchro can be changed with tranny still in place just drop cross member and pull tailshaft housing off.The synchro runs around twenty to thirty dollars. Hope this helps.

Rexy 12-05-2009 07:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is pictures of what the "clunk" noise is.

Jet A Fuel 12-06-2009 03:04 PM

yep thats broken :ouch: Mine looked the same on the shaft splines (all rounded off).But never seen a gear break!! I can check to see if I can get a main shaft for you it will be monday or tuesday tho.

Rexy 12-06-2009 05:51 PM

when i slide the 5th gear onto the splines on the shaft, i get a little bit of movement. Is this normal or are the splines wore out on the shaft.. I checked the donor 2wd trans. i got the 5th gear from and it has the same amount of movement. Any thoughts??

12valvetater 12-06-2009 06:03 PM

That movement is why the nut comes loose shaft is no good.

Rx7man 12-14-2009 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jet A Fuel (Post 445369)
I would suggest a full spline output shaft and a nut and gear.

RX7, this problem is the synchro on the fifth gear, its on the counter shaft and the assy is held on with a snap ring the synchro can be changed with tranny still in place just drop cross member and pull tailshaft housing off.The synchro runs around twenty to thirty dollars. Hope this helps.

Thanks, it's kinda what I figured, I wish I would have known about it when I did the 5th gear nut though