12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

94 AUTO towing problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 06:50 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD *** RAM
how is 600* gonna melt his engine?
600 won't hurt the engine at all but if he was loadin down and workin it hard enough to bring the truck to a stop those EGT's should have been off the dial, that's point. There wasn't enough fuel to even heat the truck up and develop the power.

May try the next simple fix, have the injectors pop tested. You may find them blocked up and not passin enough fuel if you've already been through the rest of the fueling system. I know my local Bosh service center will test em for free here.

Last edited by Uncle Bubba; 11-19-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:06 PM
BOMBARDIER

Ok I've pondered this one enough, It's gotta be a fuel delivery problem.

If it were the tranny your fluid would be ash long ago and the EGT's still would have been through the roof.

12V doesn't have all the electronic sensors so that knocks that stuff out.

If your motor was worn out or the piston rigs were sloppy bad enough to create this serious of an issue then your truck would be covered in Blow by oil, your oil dipstick would probably be blown out of the hole, burnin though oil and you would be smokin up a storm.

If you were gettin fuel to the cylinders your EGT's would have been twice that long before you rolled to a stop.

So that only leaves the following in order.

1. The fuel tank pick up is clogged or cracked and sucking air.
2. Your fuel lines are old and cracked pulling air in.
3. You already changed the filter, make sure the water drain is closed tight.
4. Your lift pump is not workin.
5. Your Injector Pump is not workin.
6. The Injectors are bad or clogged up and just returning fuel to the tank through the overflow.

Problems is fixed now right.

The following users liked this post:
ArizonaRedneck (12-08-2009)
Old 11-19-2009, 09:53 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Bubba
Ok I've pondered this one enough, It's gotta be a fuel delivery problem.

If it were the tranny your fluid would be ash long ago and the EGT's still would have been through the roof.

12V doesn't have all the electronic sensors so that knocks that stuff out.

If your motor was worn out or the piston rigs were sloppy bad enough to create this serious of an issue then your truck would be covered in Blow by oil, your oil dipstick would probably be blown out of the hole, burnin though oil and you would be smokin up a storm.

If you were gettin fuel to the cylinders your EGT's would have been twice that long before you rolled to a stop.

So that only leaves the following in order.

1. The fuel tank pick up is clogged or cracked and sucking air. this would require dropping the tank correct?
2. Your fuel lines are old and cracked pulling air in.
3. You already changed the filter, make sure the water drain is closed tight. What would this have to do with it not getting fuel? the water drain is leaking slightly but I think thats the original sensor?
4. Your lift pump is not workin. Replaced 2 months ago
5. Your Injector Pump is not workin. Rebuilt just over a year ago
6. The Injectors are bad or clogged up and just returning fuel to the tank through the overflow. any way for me to clean them?

Problems is fixed now right.
my questions are bold text. the reason im asking about the fuel filter drain plug is that when i replaced it with the new filter i put the stock "water in fuel" sensor back on and its leaking ever so slightly.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:05 PM
BOMBARDIER

1. Yep. But if you've never done it, it's time to check it for sludge anyway. Your truck should be pretty similar to mine so here's an easy to follow guide for doing this.
https://www.dieselbombers.com/24-val...-easy-way.html

3. Just guessin that it may be possible that under vacuum pressure of your pumps suckin fuel through that this valve could let air flow in through this fitting.

4/5 This makes this a slimmer possibility but still a possibility. Pressure gauge would help out a lot here.

6. You can clean them but not nearly as well as a shop with a sonic cleaner. They also really need to be pop tested also and only a shop is gonna be able to do this right. They could be spotless to look at them but not flowing fuel at all if one or more of them is bad.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:27 AM
Diesel Fan

thanks bubba. I will keep you updated as i go through each step.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:34 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

one more thing for you to check,the last time i messed with my fuel plate when i tightened it back up it was slightly crooked.this kept the foot to travel foreward,i loosened the bolts up shifted it slightly and problem fixed,i didn't notice it when i first took off up the road,when i got down on the pedal though i did,no power and egt's didnt get over like 800*,i had been pushing 1600* before that.just a thought.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Bubba (11-20-2009)
Old 11-20-2009, 12:02 PM
BOMBARDIER

Originally Posted by BAD *** RAM
one more thing for you to check,the last time i messed with my fuel plate when i tightened it back up it was slightly crooked.this kept the foot to travel foreward,i loosened the bolts up shifted it slightly and problem fixed,i didn't notice it when i first took off up the road,when i got down on the pedal though i did,no power and egt's didnt get over like 800*,i had been pushing 1600* before that.just a thought.
Thanks Bud, this is one of those 12V specific things that I don't know nothin about.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

no problem,i always learn the hard way.i hope anytime i share info that i save somebody from the same.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Diesel Fan

update

replaced the "water in fuel" sensor to eliminate a possible air leak but to no avail. Also ordered remaned injectors which will be here in a day or two. hopefully this solves the fuel problem.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:57 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

alright it sounds like your on the right track but still something doesnt seem quite right to me.

Im deffinetly with you on the fuel issue but you said it was at about 2400 rpm and it wasn't pulling worth a crap and egt's were low.

Now im not a cummins guy but if the motor's running at 2400, it should be getting good fuel no?? im not doubting you guys im just really interested

Quick Reply: 94 AUTO towing problems