Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   oops! (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/34477-oops.html)

joshmock 10-18-2009 12:03 AM

oops!

so, dropped a socket in my afc, stupid i know but it happens.... it's not a small socket either. figured no big deal i'd just fish it out, but i can't even see it. there's only about 2inches of oil in the bottom, but still no sight of the socket. the question is, could it really have gone that far? i didn't think it could go but go to the bottom and sit in the oil. also, like i said, this was a deep well 10mm socket, so not exactle hard to find in there. just trying to confirm that it couldn't have gotten far :humm: thanks boys

Jazz 10-18-2009 06:03 AM

I wouldn't think it would either but then there has been times when I'm working on something and drop a tool or socket and look and look and finally find it and I'm like how in the.... did that get there:argh: Are you 100% sure it went in?

xzaq103 10-18-2009 12:02 PM

Theres a large area for them to hide down there.

Get a magnet and feel around in the oil. If its in there you can get it out it just takes some time. If you dont find it and you know its in there then you could pull the GSK plug out and see if you can find it that way. Other than that your only option is pulling the pump.

:c:

joshmock 10-18-2009 01:09 PM

i used a rod and plunged it all the way down till it hit the bottom of the resevoir the oil is holding in. it came back only about 2 inches of oil on it. i used this as a mark to figure i only had about 2 inches more that i couldn't actually see. would this be correct? if so, then i'm sure i've looked everywhere in there from top to bottom.

dodgecummines12valv 10-23-2009 09:32 PM

git a magnet and go dawn there that will git it out

joshmock 10-24-2009 10:32 PM

hey guys, i've tried to get that thing out and no luck. 'm beginning to wonder if it's even in there, so i got two questions. first, could it really have gone that far? i mean it wasn't a small socket. secondly, if everything is functioning ok and it's not restricting anything, would it be bad if i just let it sit in the bottom if it is actually in there? i just figured worst case scenerio just close her up and figure it wasn't meant to get out.

01LB7 10-24-2009 10:40 PM

dont do that it could realy be bad if it does clog it

tower_ofpower 10-24-2009 11:27 PM

haha yeah; deffinately DONT LEAVE IT IN THERE. i'm pretty sure if it were to become friends with the governor weights there'd be one hell of an argument later... look in all of those "maybe its down there" places. the starter fits kind of tight to the block and can catch things between it and the starter fish around in the oil abit more... if anything take the governor spring axcess plug out and let some of the oil drain out... a small pencil magnet should atleast be able to hook it so you can tell if its even in there...

davo79 10-25-2009 12:55 AM

X2

joshmock 10-25-2009 01:38 AM

aight... i'll try again. if i can't find it i'm just gonna assume it's not in there, because i know i've searched it over good. i don't think it can go much further than the bottom pool of oil.