12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Hard starting ,already changed fuel filter....crack line?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 02:15 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard starting ,already changed fuel filter....crack line?

my truck used to start up within a second and a half even on cold starts.
for the last week or so it is taking about 5-8 seconds to start even after cranking it after it has been sitting for 30 minutes or less.
I just cleaned my fuel bowl and put a new fuel filter in.I opened up the bleed screw and screwed it back on,but didnt over tighten it.(i just got a new banjo bolt and bleed screw because i overtightened the little screw today,now i got a new one).
I am thinking I should open the fuel line before the injectors....and crank/bleed.
possibly check the tank screen?.....i did run it to the guage was only a few needle widths above the E mark.

I have been running veg oil but at a 50/50 mix.....i did see some gunk in the filter and bowl but less than a baby spoon full.

the truck has aftermarket injectors and I did the KDP mod,other than that it is factory settings and parts.It has 270k on it.I have not adjusted or set valve lash.

the truck does have a small coolant leak on the passenger front area from the headgasket area.It is very small and sometimes seems to take forever before i even see a drip.I did not notice it leaking today though.I have used ceramic sealer in the coolant system but it has been drained out many months ago.

not sure where to go from here.I tried opening the fuel lines once before i put the new filter one....should i do that bleed again?if that doesnt work should i drop the tank?

Old 10-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i ran into this problem in the spring, i was told that the lines will seep air, but not leak fuel, therefore the fuel is replaced by the air until it goes through the engine re-priming itself. my solution to this problem was putting on a new air dog fuel system with lines and everything. i dont know if your situation could be the same or not, but that def. fixed it for me!

Old 10-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

crack and bleed the injectors if not than you r going to drop the tank gunk will build up using vege oil

Old 10-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

i bled the lines before i changed out the fuel filter.
i will try bleeding the lines again.
i had a spotter check the fuel seleoid shutoff and it is moving the arm.
i cant lift up on it anymore either when the truck is running.
if the bleeding doesnt work i think i will drop the fuel tank.

I ran the truck at about 70-80 percent wvo and had the fuel guage very near E mark when i ran it that way.Before I would only run 50 percent at the most.

I have put 5 gallons of diesel in there and some diesel kleen.i think i will put more dino diesel tommorow too.i also put some gas in the fuel bowl to see if that would clean out the lines but that didnt seem to help much.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Truck is now not firing up.Just cranks over.going to look it over as it is stuck in parking lot near house.things to check for are smoke coming out of tailpipe right?

i cranked it over in 3 seconds cold this morning and then it took almost 5 seconds the next time and then wouldnt start.going to try bypassing the fuel bowl and putting straight diesel
.will also try bleeding the lines.

anything else i could do?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

after bleeding the lines it fired up about 3 seconds after cranking then pushing on pedal.
I got it to crank over and run without pushing on the pedal later.
I have read this indicates a lift pump failure.however I replaced it(with a cummins part)about a month ago.

I did the fuel heater removal about a month ago.
i have removed and cleaned the filter a few times since doing so.
I think I have a leak in the system somewhere,possibly the lines.

Any common areas to look for,maybe around the tank?

Last edited by will1am; 10-08-2009 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

check the shut off solenoid. that was my problem with my truck and i had tried all the same stuff you did. it may not be the solenoid but you can also check the relays that go to it.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:13 AM
Diesel Fan

sounds like you may need to change the 2 rubber lines at the back of the engine...Or your overflow valve could be weak...

Old 10-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

where is this overflow valve?
I know where the two lines are near the back of the engine.
i dont seem to see or feel any leakage around that area.
are the lines coming off the tank worth looking at?

Old 10-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Diesel Fan

of valve is on the injector pump by the front of the head (pump return line looks like a big banjo bolt)...My rubber lines looked and felt good but when removed and flexed a bit the cracks showed up...

Old 10-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

recall what size lines they are?what do you recomend for lines?viton hose?
or will local auto parts hose work?

Quick Reply: Hard starting ,already changed fuel filter....crack line?