Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   how to fix the cruise control? 1997 12v 5speed (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/29469-how-fix-cruise-control-1997-12v-5speed.html)

jaybuller 07-18-2009 09:48 AM

how to fix the cruise control? 1997 12v 5speed

Alright, I have a 1997 12v 5speed. Ok the criuse control does not work. The little green light lights up when i turn the cruise on but when i go to set the cruise speed nothing happens? How does the cruise control on these things work? is it off of vaccum? or electronic somehow? I checked for any bad fuses but they are all good. WHat else can i check?

12valvetater 07-18-2009 10:55 AM

check for vacum leaks

Benjamin 07-18-2009 10:57 AM

vacuum operated.

check under and behind and around the driver side battery for the thin black tubing that runs to the Cruise Control box. the battery acid will over time eat away at the hose. i use rubber vacuum hose from the parts store to slide over the old hose to re-connect them. follow it from the battery to the firewall..... IIRC that is the route that it takes.

jaybuller 07-18-2009 01:05 PM

ok I FOUND A BIGGER RUBBER LINE COMING OFF THE SERVO AND A THIN VACCUM LINE BROKEN LOOKS LIKE IT CAME FROM UNDER THE BATTERY BUT THERE IS NOTHING TO HOOK IT TOO.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

:howdy:alright i got it , all i needed was further disasembly, i took the battery box out and saw that the thin vac. line goes in on the servo behind it on the side, hiding way under the battery box. You would never see it unless you pull the battery box out or the speed control servo off. But hopefully that will fix it. I will let you know soon as i can drive it...right now i cant cause im at work and can not leave:booo:

94cummins12v 07-18-2009 01:15 PM

you can come help me fix mine if you want. it has vacuum but no electrical to the survo:ouch:

jaybuller 07-18-2009 02:11 PM

Did you test the number 3 pin on the servo plug? Test it with the ignition on and the cruise control buton on. You should get voltage on the number 3 pin. Aslo you can do continuity tests on the wires and the pins on the actuall speed control servo to see if the actuall servo is bad...(ive learned a lot about cruise control diagnosis in the past two hours....way to much research went into why mine wasnt working and all it was was a disconected vaccum line....)

94cummins12v 07-18-2009 02:19 PM

yep hit the controls on the wheel and they are all good but at the survo not one has power, behond me

96blackcloud 07-19-2009 09:26 PM

mine doesnt work either its the clock spring in the steering colum, not fun getting to it behind the airbag

sawmillman 08-23-2009 09:53 PM

I replaced the assembly and vac line under the batery and the thing on the tranny still have no cruise.The switches on the steering wheel light up when turned on,is there somthing else that I'm missing?I would live to get this fixed.:argh:

jdnetx 07-01-2015 09:22 PM

photos

Originally Posted by jaybuller (Post 366483)
Did you test the number 3 pin on the servo plug? Test it with the ignition on and the cruise control buton on. You should get voltage on the number 3 pin. Aslo you can do continuity tests on the wires and the pins on the actuall speed control servo to see if the actuall servo is bad...(ive learned a lot about cruise control diagnosis in the past two hours....way to much research went into why mine wasnt working and all it was was a disconected vaccum line....)

Hi, my name is Jeff. My cruise quit last night while driving on the interstate. Did you find any photos of how the cruise control is connected to the throttle linkage?