Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   guttin the muffler (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/27782-guttin-muffler.html)

wisconsin redneck 06-10-2009 11:20 AM

guttin the muffler

does nybody have a good way on doin this?? my dad won't let me take it off.. n he's not going to be home today.. so if i gut it he won't know that i "straight piped" it... he doesnt now nything about diesels so if i tell him that all diesel's ehaust are loud.. then he'll believe me :U:
there ny side effects of just gutting the muffler?? like drone r somethin like that???

Dr. Evil 06-10-2009 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by wisconsin redneck (Post 348774)
there ny side effects of just gutting the muffler?? like drone r somethin like that???

:humm: How about Dad kicking your a$$ for messing with his truck?? That would be one...:w2:

BAD ASS RAM 06-10-2009 12:01 PM

unless he's just plain dumb he will notice the first time he hears it.it will make a BIG difference in sound.and no it won't hurt anything.:ouch:

K50 06-10-2009 12:41 PM

Yeah, a similar way to get the same sound is just to shoot a hole in it. Works just as well haha... I remember when I was a kid we had a Pontiac Parisienne with a 305, and the muffler got a hole in it on a gravel road or something, man it sounded bad-ass, almost the same as a performance muffler. Sometimes having a rusted muffler isn't a bad thing!
But yeah, he'll notice if it's straight piped, the sound is noticeably louder. Unless he's got a hearing aid already and is insensitive to noise, I wouldn't try it!!:ouch:

AF1CUMMINS 06-10-2009 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by wisconsin redneck (Post 348774)
does nybody have a good way on doin this?? my dad won't let me take it off.. n he's not going to be home today.. so if i gut it he won't know that i "straight piped" it... he doesnt now nything about diesels so if i tell him that all diesel's ehaust are loud.. then he'll believe me :U:

aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh, i remember when I was that nieve to think my Dad was that dumb:pca1: good luck kid caution though, I see a red back porch in your near future LOL:moon:

FastCR 06-10-2009 03:43 PM

been there done that LOL. he thought the muffler was just old and needed to be replaced. I had conveniently already ordered in a high flow. :w2:

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

edit:
he does have a lot of hearing damage so that probably helped :yeah:
all he heard was increased drone.

rkadcock 06-10-2009 04:08 PM

Those where the good ol days... I remember instead of gutting my muffler I just cut the stock exhaust off right before the cat. Talk about loud

wisconsin redneck 06-10-2009 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil (Post 348787)
:humm: How about Dad kicking your a$$ for messing with his truck?? That would be one...:w2:

well its my truck! :ph: hahah... but rly he wouldnt notice... i would just tell him that its a diesel n he WOULD believe me!!! hahha.. but how do i do it?? without cutting the muffler wide open??

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

thanks guys but i'll take my chances! :w2:

FastCR 06-10-2009 06:35 PM

bfh and crow bar maybe. you should be able to burn most of the fiberglass out of it with a torch just getting it hot.

89silverbullet 06-11-2009 03:12 AM

tell your dad you want better fuel mileage and more power. it does not harm a thing! do it honest.