Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   will tires hold,not load rated (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/24329-will-tires-hold-not-load-rated.html)

will1am 03-25-2009 10:13 PM

will tires hold,not load rated

just bought some tires for the 2500 94 2wd and they are not the load rated d or e.i think they are standard load but are a 114s wich is good for 2100 lbs
i am not going to haul anything over 1k lbs in the bed or tow anything over 4k lbs.
i have them set at 50psi...5 over recommended.
will i lose some feul milage due to less rolling resistance or are thes tires about the same
as an d or e rated load range tire

Meralain 03-25-2009 10:30 PM

From what I have read, the stiffer the sidewall and tread, the better the fuel mileage. Sounds like you got some 8 ply tires, the front tires might be a little under-rated carrying that Cummins around.:booo: I wouldn't be surprised if you fuel mileage didn't suffer considerably..... I have seen a difference of 2-3 mpg just from tread style on my '01. Right now I am running a set of "mastercraft" 10 ply tires with a M+S style tread, and seeing 22.1mpg hauling 750# of ballast in the box.

94cummins12v 03-25-2009 11:02 PM

i have a set of 315/75/16 cooper discover stt mud tires with a e rating 10ply tire and they do awsom in the snow, mud and towing, heavy loads

jnicewan 03-26-2009 01:03 AM

the load range is something alot of people dont consider when getting tires. but you said 2100lbs per tire. the only bad thing about that is your truck might weigh 6500-7500lbs empty. without knowing your truck and what extras you might have you could actually be sitting pretty darn close the max rated weight of the tires. you also never know if one day you might need to haul a trailer or heavy payload maybe not but what if you need to.

i have seen some heavily overloaded trucks and trailers on underated tires before. and not had problems. if it was mine i would want to get a tire thats overrated just in case. the higher the load rating almost always means they will last longer and take much more abuse to the tread and or sidewalls.

Dr. Evil 03-26-2009 01:20 AM

Are these C or D load range?

I have been running 8 ply D range tires for awhile now - never had a problem but I rarely ever tow and am always empty.

cumminsdad08 03-26-2009 11:13 AM

gotta watch the lower tire ratings, we have a half ton 2wd at work with LR C's on it. it was fine for the longest time, pulled nice, hauled nice. but one by one, with the heavy loads on it, the tires started to bubble out on the inner walls, which is hard to take notice when you leave in the dark and get back in the dark. so i think it was the constant abuse that eventually wore them out early..... i guess what i think is, that if you don't do much with them, you will prolly be ok, but for the extra couple bucks i would go heavier, just my 2 cents

will1am 03-27-2009 03:04 PM

the front tires are load rated D...they are only rated at 2600 lb.the rears,new,are standard load and rated to 2200....i have the rears at 50psi too...which is over the max recommend for those tires.i am going to put the front tires at thier max which is 80psi.i have have the lightest 2nd gen truck you can get.(i beleive)i am going to watch my milage carefully now....i got 16mpg out of the last tankful

colt45_usmc 03-28-2009 05:03 PM

i was runnin 315 70 17 bighorn mudders and i pulled around on the average grossin 52k lbs and never had any trouble from the tires. the only trouble i had was from the auto tranny lol