Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   help on tranny (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/24315-help-tranny.html)

95dodge3500 03-25-2009 07:02 PM

help on tranny

I have stock tranny and I am wanting to do some upgrades to it what is the cheapest but best way to do so

stack_boy 03-25-2009 07:21 PM

tranny

You will need at the least good torque converter and valve body to hold a decent amount of power.

94cummins12v 03-25-2009 11:06 PM

whick is alot more expensive than a 5 speed for sure

BAD ASS RAM 03-26-2009 07:53 AM

the torque convertor is really the weak point.

95dodge3500 03-26-2009 01:58 PM

I see that u have a built tranny what have you done to it, what is the best for the money and not worth it since u have experienced this what would b your best suggestion other than the converter

Johnny Cetane 03-26-2009 03:02 PM

I think you need to honestly ask yourself what the goals are for your truck.

Are you going to be yanking around sleds every weekend? Doing 3K RPM launches at the drag strip? Do you want to be the king of the dyno? If you think this is honestly where you are headed than you'll need more than a TC and VB. You'll want the best bearings you can get, at least one but probably more billet shafts...basically a full rebuild with a lot of expensive hard parts.

I see you list a HD TC in your sig. Who makes it and what are the specs.

If all you want is a semi-powerful daily driver than you can probably get a way with adding a VB to your TC and call it good.

95dodge3500 03-26-2009 06:54 PM

i dont know wat the specs and make r on the tc just that wen i took to get rebuilt it was the only aftermarket bigger than stock tc he could get through his dealer at that time I didnt hav the money 2 go with an ats, or something like that. As of right now its only a daily driver and may put on a dyno then in future i may drag or even pull but not looking to go that big now bc in school and money issue

Hightech_Redneck 03-29-2009 02:01 AM

i went all goerend in mine and i absolutely love it..... but its more pricey..... triple disk converter and vb...... money well spent though

HighBall 03-29-2009 02:50 PM

I went with the ATS all the way. Went to Denver and had them install it and they knocked off $400 just for having them do it. Its expensive but I have no worries in the tranny department now. You can spend a little now and alot later or just spend alot now!

collinscummins 03-30-2009 09:55 PM

I know goerends uses torrington bearings in his transmissions, which I think is a great idea, but the local transmission guy here says they are prone to failure because you cant lube them enough. I dont know much about transmissions, just who makes a good one pretty much. I would go with goerends if I could afford it, but i was thinking about doing the suncoast rebuild, with transgo shift kit and a single disk tc for now.