Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   I'm assuming starter? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/20110-im-assuming-starter.html)

Cummins97 12-27-2008 12:26 PM

I'm assuming starter?

Truck was starting great till about a week ago and it started cranking real slow. Batteries are like 2 months old and the gauge in the dash says a little over the first normal mark. It did the slow crankin for a few days then all the sudden yesterday it started to crank slow for a few seconds then just quit crankin all together. It wouldn't crank at all for a couple turns of the key then all the sudden it would start crankin again. Now today it wont crank at all. Turn the key and there's nothin.

I'm thinkin starter what you all think? Would just check it but it's raining like a mofo LoL.

DB Admin 12-27-2008 12:37 PM

tap on the starter with a hammer then try to crank it again , if there 2 pople have one tap on the starter and the other crank

Whit 12-27-2008 02:11 PM

also could possibly be the starter contacts.........I think Foster makes some good heavy duty ones

here is a link to the HD contacts

LarryB's Dodge starting problems solved here.

jasonw 12-27-2008 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Whitmore (Post 259351)
also could possibly be the starter contacts.........I think Foster makes some good heavy duty ones

Definetly better than a starter replacement. I had the same problem in my '01. Only sometimes it would click really fast, like there wasn't enough juice to turn it over. Turns out one of the contacts was worn down so much, it wasn't making contact. I think it took an hour to pull the starter and replace the contacts. Never had a problem since. I would go that route first before changing the starter. Or if you want, pull your starter and check the condition of the contacts to make sure. I think there's instructions on how to replace them on that website. If not, I may still have mine or you can find them on the internet.

roddyconner 12-27-2008 03:13 PM

I know you said that the batteries were new, but what if you have one that's gone bad. You will show the correct voltage, but the bad one won't let you get the amps you need to turn the engine.:humm:

94cummins12v 12-27-2008 08:37 PM

ya wont hurt to start small check both batterys disconected with a volt meater, its free

Cummins97 12-28-2008 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Whitmore (Post 259351)

Thanks for the link! You save me alot of time searchin. :U:

Originally Posted by roddyconner (Post 259375)
I know you said that the batteries were new, but what if you have one that's gone bad. You will show the correct voltage, but the bad one won't let you get the amps you need to turn the engine.:humm:

Not the batteries. both tested good..
Hooked cables from another 12v to it and still same ole problem.

Looks like I'm just gonna order the HD contacts and see if that fixes it. Thx for the help guys!

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Oh yea and I tried the tap on it with a hammer thing. No dice. Didn't tap to hard, scared I'd break it and be out more than the $45 for the contacts. :argh:

stkdram55 12-28-2008 06:41 PM

yeah its the contacts, i had the same problem but i didnt know about the contacts and just bought a reman:argh:

gone ropin 12-28-2008 08:15 PM

contacts, did mine about 6 years ago :U:

Cummins97 12-30-2008 02:00 PM

took it apart and found that contacts were nice and thick still. Had alot of oil and pits on them. Cleaned them up a bit and now she starts. Still gonna order the new ones tho.