Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   Something Gave (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/16450-something-gave.html)

wilke12V 09-17-2008 07:49 PM

Something Gave

well something gave in the drive system. on my way back from the gas station when i got out of the throttle it would kick, like a hard jurk. then turning to go down my street, i got out of the throttle and then i heard a really loud whine and grinding noise. i thew it in neautral it stoped, coasted it to my drive way, and now i put it in any gear and it makes the sound. revurse, drive, 1, 2, tried it iin 4hi 2hi 4lo and neautral. when i even put the tc in neautral and put the coloume into drive or revurse it still makes the noise. HELP ME :madd:

P.S. i dont have park now.:argh:

wildbill 09-17-2008 08:06 PM

No park means the pawl gave up. Something in the tail end of the transmission went and it took the pawl with it.

Whit 09-17-2008 08:48 PM

input shaft would be my guess :ouch:

wilke12V 09-18-2008 08:30 PM

im thinking that its the male end of the shaft. but more ideas would be grreat so i know what to look for

Benjamin 09-18-2008 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Whitmore (Post 211669)
input shaft would be my guess :ouch:

if it was the input shaft it would still have park. if you don't have park i'd put money on either the planetary gear set (the sun gear i think most people call it) or the output shaft. the parking gear is not really a gear but a lever that fits into a slot in the rearmost drum in the tranny that is connected to the output shaft.

MotorOilMcCall 09-19-2008 08:17 AM

I had a similar sound when my Transfer Case blew the planetaries... Except mines a stick. It actually siezed everything, I couldn't engage the clutch with it in gear or it would stall. Put the T-Case in nuetral and I could at least pull it back to my shop without the noise.

Not saying thats what it is, but check it. Throw the rear end on some jackstands, grab a stethoscope, put the truck in gear and crawl under. Put the scope on the tranny, the t-case, and anywhere else you hear noise... you'll find out real quick where its coming from.

wilke12V 09-23-2008 12:01 AM

well i looked at it today and i dont know what broke but i have a hole the size of a dime in my tc,i dont even want to know what broke, so my bet is i need to get a new one. thanks guys for your help.:c:

stkdram55 09-23-2008 06:23 AM

I agree with the Parking pawl and the output shaft reply, you might also need to check the input hub on the transfer case, a friend of mine when he switched his from auto to stick...not saying that it is definately that but something else to look at:humm:

wilke12V 09-23-2008 02:54 PM

my dad looked up the # to the tc and said it was for a manual trany., i have an auto. does it matter?

BigDiesel359 09-23-2008 03:09 PM

the auto and manual transfer cases I think had different size input shafts if I'm not mistaken.....I know the 241 has smaller shafts than the later 271's, but I'm not 100% on manual -auto 241's like yours...sorry. best of luck :c: