Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   On the road spare parts (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/136045-road-spare-parts.html)

sonnylynnvick75 02-25-2019 12:02 PM

On the road spare parts

I tried looking for this but couldn't find it anywhere. I'm probably wording it wrong but what tools/parts do you recommend carrying in your truck for a quick fix on the side of the road?

Bigg Redd 02-25-2019 04:12 PM

Well that depends. You can never have enough tools to carry, but then your truck can only hold so many tools.....:tttt: I carry a set of metric pivot wrenches 6mm to 20mm, set of metric 3/8" drive sockets, needle nose pliers, channel-loks , wire dykes, 1-short bladed screw driver, long bladed screw driver, the same in phillips screw drivers, spare fuel filter(s), zip-ties, small coil of bailing wire, spare serpentine belt, spare idler pulley, 1qt engine oil, 1qt trans fluid, 25' tow-strap, tire repair plugs, I have an air compressor and tank installed for PacBrake and air horns but it also serves to fix a flat, assorted fuses, high visibility emergency vest for sure, road flares, $200 bucks in small bills stashed in the cab, permanently mounted cb radio (in case your phone has no signal. This saved my ass more than once), jumper cables, radiator hose clamps and 3inch piece of stainless tubing to use as a spice for faulty radiator hose. I think that about does it for me. Oh, and a membership to an auto-club doesn't hurt, in case you need towing service, I have Triple A.

Its hard to prepare for the unknown, but some preparation is better than nothing. You cant go wrong with basic hand tools. Its a good start.

sonnylynnvick75 02-25-2019 05:39 PM

9/10 I’ve got my dragbike trailer behind me loaded with tools. Im just interested in finding what everyone else carries with them, thanks for the input! I need to grab a piece of stainless for radiator repair.

Bigg Redd 02-25-2019 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by sonnylynnvick75 (Post 1153217)
9/10 I’ve got my dragbike trailer behind me loaded with tools. Im just interested in finding what everyone else carries with them, thanks for the input! I need to grab a piece of stainless for radiator repair.

Aluminum tube works well, if ya cant find stainless, FYI. BUT since that splice kit is only a roadside quick-fix, you can use any metal tube/ pipe. You wont be sorry b/c ya just never know. :c:

sonnylynnvick75 02-26-2019 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Bigg Redd (Post 1153220)
Aluminum tube works well, if ya cant find stainless, FYI. BUT since that splice kit is only a roadside quick-fix, you can use any metal tube/ pipe. You wont be sorry b/c ya just never know. :c:

I like it. I was on my phone last night so I couldn't go into as much detail as I wanted. I usually carry:
A quart of rotella
A quart of ATF
A spare serpentine belt
Safety wire
Hose clamps
Fuel filter
Fuel overflow valve
Small nitrogen tank with regulator (in place of an air compressor
25' tow strap
4 way lug wrench
Fuses
Jumper cables
Tie downs
Various wrenches and screwdrivers
CB Radio

I need to pick up and add
High vis vest
Road flares
Tire plug kit
Roadflares
Idler pulley
and a some tubing.

I'm thinking about adding a spare lift pump to my kit as well.

Bigg Redd 02-26-2019 06:27 PM

Right on!! :tu: