12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

94 12v Cummins Billowing white smoke Running aweful

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 12v Cummins Billowing white smoke Running aweful

Hey guys relatively new here I just bought a 1994 12v Cummins slt 2wd with 109,xxx on it. Since I bought the truck (about 2 weeks ago) Ive put 3kgs in, ground down the fuel plate to a zero moved the afc housing full foreword. I went out this morning did a little fine tuning to the AFC (backed out the “smoke screw” about a turn and a half) trying to get a little more power, then let it warm up for about 30 mins then took the truck for a spin around the corner and gave it a little gas and heard a poof. Cloud of white smoke an when I give it any throttle it shakes horribly, could barely baby it home maybe 5mph and still billows white smoke when it is parked. Also when it’s parked it feels aweful very low idle when you touch the gas it kinda wants to die out but doesn’t. Check engine light isn’t on either. Any ideas? Thank you in advance!

Old 01-14-2019, 09:00 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

That poof could indicate a ruptured coupler somewhere between the turbo and intake horn, causing you to lose boost pressure. Check your couplers thoroughly. Then again, you probably goofed something up with your mods. Did the truck come with any already installed mods?

Old 01-15-2019, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Bigg Redd
That poof could indicate a ruptured coupler somewhere between the turbo and intake horn, causing you to lose boost pressure. Check your couplers thoroughly. Then again, you probably goofed something up with your mods. Did the truck come with any already installed mods?
no mods, the previous owner had only taken off the smoke screw and screwed it almost all the way in. The tamper proof on the afc housing to actually get it off was still in tact and not touched.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:07 PM
Diesel Bomber

Do you have any gauges to monitor your mill? Do you remember if your EGT's got too hot (causing a problem), engine temp too hot? Does that white smoke smell like raw fuel, or sweet smell like anti-freeze? Im guessing you've got a fuel issue, hopefully not a failed or failing injector. if ya have a laser heat thermometer, run the engine to normal op temp, then check the temp of each exhaust port on the exhaust manifold and find cyl with the lowest temp. If ya have a mechanic's stethoscope also, with the engine running, place the probe on each injector line and listen for knocking/ unusual sounds at the injector. That should help diagnose further. Im also thinking a small piece of some foreign material (dirt or the like) causing a malfunction.....

Old 01-16-2019, 12:53 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bigg Redd is right, check your hoses and clamps. Maybe a camp broke, or a hose has burst, or was rubbing somewhere and wore a hole in it.

The following users liked this post:
Bigg Redd (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bigg Redd
Do you have any gauges to monitor your mill? Do you remember if your EGT's got too hot (causing a problem), engine temp too hot? Does that white smoke smell like raw fuel, or sweet smell like anti-freeze? Im guessing you've got a fuel issue, hopefully not a failed or failing injector. if ya have a laser heat thermometer, run the engine to normal op temp, then check the temp of each exhaust port on the exhaust manifold and find cyl with the lowest temp. If ya have a mechanic's stethoscope also, with the engine running, place the probe on each injector line and listen for knocking/ unusual sounds at the injector. That should help diagnose further. Im also thinking a small piece of some foreign material (dirt or the like) causing a malfunction.....
The truck won’t start. And did check the couplers their all good. All gauges are good, except oil pressure gauge is at 0

Old 01-17-2019, 02:05 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You my be sucking air. Did you check all of your lines for leaks? Also look at the lines from the top of the tank. Alot of water and junk collects there, and will rust the fitting coming out of the tank.
Did you try priming it with the priming button on the lift pump? It may have lost its prime do to a leak somewhere. You will not get much oil pressure just turning it over. Do not use starting fluid to get it started.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:09 PM
Diesel Bomber

X's 2..DO NOT use starting fluid PERIOD!!! FYI, cranking your engine wont generate much oil pressure, so don't worry about that. Seems to me that your issue(s) began right after your fuel plate mod. Why don't you try putting everything back where it was in the first place. It might be a pain n the ***, BUT it might save your sanity.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:18 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I would highly recommend you recheck your GSK install. I suspect it’s an issue in the governor assembly.

Next set your afc as close to stock as possible. For diagnostic purposes.

There is is a slim but real possibility that you slipped timing severely. Doubtful that you did, if you hadn’t touched the timing. But I’ve seen it happen even on virgin trucks.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:28 PM
Diesel Bomber

Send Dangerous1965 a PM about your issue. This guy has helped me before, and he is a whiz at diesel stuff. I'll bet he'll tell ya the same.

Quick Reply: 94 12v Cummins Billowing white smoke Running aweful