Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   12 valve with a terrible fluttering paper bag sound from exhaust. HELP!!! (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/135603-12-valve-terrible-fluttering-paper-bag-sound-exhaust-help.html)

Fievalfon 02-17-2019 03:44 PM

Thanks for the reply cfm56, any help I can get is much appreciated. Unfortunately, mine sounds like that cold and at running temp, ALWAYS!!! It’s terrible. Yes I have 4K springs installed and to be honest I don’t know what my idle is set at. Reads about 900 on the gauge but I’m pretty sure it’s incorrect considering I have a Dakota digital tach adapter installed which I haven’t been able to set correctly. I’m not quite sure about how to get a spot on reading of the rpm and all the google searching in the world has left me empty handed on the subject.

Fievalfon 02-17-2019 03:50 PM

Wow man, that’s some good info there, I will check into that immediately. I’m not so much worried about anything being wrong with the truck, I just hate the exhaust tone I have. I love the sound of most 12 valves I hear and purchased one partly for that reason to only end up with a truck that sounds like shit, you know what I’m saying? Thanks again so much for your replies.

cfm56 02-17-2019 11:42 PM

Ignoring the exhaust does the motor itself sound like mine? that should give you a rough idea what rpm you are at if your gauge is unreliable.

should be very fast click clacking.

Your rpm might just be low.

I mean on another note the shittier the 12 valve sounds the cooler it is in my opinion.

Fievalfon 02-18-2019 12:10 AM

Hard to say considering I can’t really hear your engine, I can only hear the exhaust. I would have to say though that it’s very possible I have a low idle. I did adjust it up a little at one point but I may have still not adjusted it enough. Is there no tool out there to confirm the rpm? I’d like to know for certain right where it’s at.

JBearSVT 02-18-2019 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by cfm56 (Post 1152815)
nothings wrong with your truck, its a completely mechanical turbo diesel and its normal with no temperature or barometric pressure compensation. stop worrying and drive it.

OK but... mine doesn't sound like that. It didn't with the stock turbo, with the 60/68/14, or with the compounds. I have never heard a 12V that did sound like that. I'm not arguing your reasoning, but I'm not sure that it squares this circle either.

cfm56 02-18-2019 07:09 PM

Here I made a video to help you compare

PEKOKITTY 02-18-2019 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by cfm56 (Post 1152815)
I did some thinking, that fluttering sound is the interaction of your exhaust gas with the turbine wheel, at cold start my truck idles at 400 rpm, exhaust flow is not great enough to accelerate the turbo to a sufficient speed where it doesn't disturb exhaust flow, but as the engine warm up the exhaust drive pressure increases speeding up the turbo to a point where it doesn't impede exhaust flow and just sounds smooth with a nice whistle.. Thats why no matter what turbo you put on there that 12 valve will do that. Mine did it with a HX35 and does it with a Cheetah.

Try jamming something in the turbo to prevent it from spinning and see if the sound is still there. No amount of drive pressure will over come a piece of metal holding it static.

TL:DR

nothings wrong with your truck, its a completely mechanical turbo diesel and its normal with no temperature or barometric pressure compensation. stop worrying and drive it.

Just so you dont think I'm bullshitting, I'm a jet engine mechanic, turbo's are my life, knowing how this stuff works and interacts is my job(I made an account just to type in this thread)... I thought about this for awhile before posting. The other trucks you hear are probably have a high idle, my Idle is set to 750 RPM AC off.

BS BS BS NOBODY would ever JAM something into there Turbo to keep it from turning. Do not listen to people who tell you to do something like this. They have no idea what they are talking about. If you are good at videos, JAM something into your turbo, and run the engine for awhile, and see what happens.

cfm56 02-18-2019 11:16 PM

What do you think is gonna happen if you prevent the turbo from spinning? Explain.

These Michael Bay movies got everyone fucked up.

JBearSVT 02-19-2019 04:43 AM

I assumed you were being facetious with that suggestion...

cfm56 02-19-2019 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by JBearSVT (Post 1152914)
I assumed you were being facetious with that suggestion...

I'm very serious.