12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Oil in my radiator

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 02:27 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in my radiator

Ok so yesterday when I parked my truck in the driveway there was a huge oil leak under it. Opened the hood and there was oil comming out of my radiator and the degas bottle was full of oil. Pulled the dipstick and it looked like grease all over it. I noticed a few months back you could hear what sounded like water running in the heater core. It still sounds like that. I talked to a mechanic and he said that's just air being purged from the heater core. I checked all the fluids then and everything appeared to be fine. I drive this truck everyday but not very far maybe 10 miles round trip. I do beat on it quite often. My question is where do I start? Oil cooler then pull the head and have it checked? The head gasket was replaced when I put the head studs in. So not even 10k miles on it but not ruling that out. I have quite a few mods done to it they should be in my sig if not I'll add them.

Old 03-06-2017, 04:31 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

I don't see your sig. I've seen this exactly once, and it was a severely cracked head. Not saying that's it, I really have no idea, but.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:54 PM
Diesel Fan

That's what I was afraid of. Ima pull the oil cooler tonight when I get home if I'm not too tired just to rule that out.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:09 PM
Diesel Bomber

It's a whole lot easier, for sure.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:15 PM
Diesel Fan

Ok so a lil update I drained the oil to see how much water was in it and I didn't see any in it and to my surprise there was still quite a bit of oil left in it I'd say at least 8 quarts. Havent drained the radiator yet but when I opened the cap the radiator appeared to be only half full of what appears so be oil. Not sure where my water and antifreeze went. Anyways I pulled the oil cooler and checked it and it appears to be fine. But when I pulled the oil cooler a lot of sludge came out and when I say sludge it like a really thick oil almost like grease. Now this may be a dumb question but why would it be like a sludge? It that what the oil and antifreeze makes? I thought it just turned milky. Is there any special way to check it to be sure all I did was clamp a rubber stopper to one side and put the air hose with a rubber tip in the other side and pressured it up to about 60psi...no bubbles under water. I didn't hold it on there long tho maybe 5 -10 sec. I figured I should of seen bubbles by then. So what do I do now?

Old 03-11-2017, 03:52 PM
Diesel Fan

How do I get the push rods out of the back 2 cylinders? I got everything else off ready to lift the head but those are holding me up.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:28 PM
Diesel Fan

Well turns out #6 piston is cracked. Still taking the head in tomorrow to get checked out. Anything y'all recommend doing while I got it pulled down this far already? Any advice is helpful!!

Old 03-14-2017, 12:12 AM
Diesel Bomber

Better pistons, from the sound of things. Still not certain how that could get oil into the radiator, but this is way outside my range of experience as of... quite a while ago now.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:08 PM
Diesel Fan

All injectors were good. Head is cracked pretty bad. Gonna order a Hamilton stage 2 fire ringed head for it here in a little bit. As far as the piston goes I'm gonna pull them and basically do a in frame overhaul. Anyone have any experience on doing something like that? I think the hardest part will be keeping everything clean and honing the cylinders. But if anyone has any input please let me know. Pistons and bearings will get ceramic/Teflon coated. Ima do the turbo and exhaust manifold as well just to keep the temperatures down under the hood.