12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Easy on the transmission...

Old 01-05-2016, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy on the transmission...

Hello I have a 95 12v single cab long bed that I just got and I'm looking to have some fun... But I all I have read is that the transmission can't be pushed too far. So what I'm looking to find out is what is "too far" I'd like to do a 5in exhaust and maybe a little fuel plate work but I don't want to blow the tranny, would that possibly do it?

Old 01-05-2016, 07:11 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

the trans if original is going to fail. period. we had a fresh stock rebuild trans with a moper hd converter handle 400/850 for a little bit. never skipped a beat, then swapped it out for a race trans. if yours is in good shape and you don't beat it it will last a decent time. exhaust and a plate aren't gonna do much power wise. especially in terms of hurting the trans. is there a reason for 5 inch exhaust? or just for the sound. because 5 isn't necessary until like 700+ hp. i personally would spend money on other mods as i assume 5 inch is more money than 4 inch. also look into afc live if you intend to buy a fuel plate. far more tunability and no need to buy different plate profiles.

The following users liked this post:
Jet A Fuel (01-09-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 05:00 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

It has nothing to do with how much power you have, only what you do with it. That said, with the stock trans (the torque converter in particular) most power mods aren't going to make it feel any stronger because it just pisses all that added power right off the top and makes a bunch of heat... unless you either beat the hell out of it or have a lockup switch, and either way you're just going to blow up the trans and wonder if it really felt any faster. If you're "looking to have some fun" then you need to build the trans first.

Jet A Fuel (01-09-2016)
Old 01-09-2016, 09:37 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Stock torque convertor is the weak link. I would upgrade to at least a single disc BILLET t/c with a lower stall.

Jet A Fuel (01-09-2016)

Search this Thread