Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   HELP!! 2nd Gen steering upgrade questions (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/125404-help-2nd-gen-steering-upgrade-questions.html)

JMan96CTD 01-24-2015 10:18 PM

HELP!! 2nd Gen steering upgrade questions

Ok, I'm new to this whole forum thing so here we go. I have a 96 cummins 2500 4x4. Stock height, spohn performance adjustable track bar. getting 2.5" leveling kit to fit 35's. my front end is shot, what a surprise. So I've been doing alot of research and this is what I've gathered, correct me if I'm wrong please because I'm doing the upgrade in a few weeks and need to go in the right direction because I AM NOT putting another "Y" setup in my truck. So here we go, so I was thinking of doing the 98-99 HD steering setup. The only thing I believe I have to do is use a pitman arm and tie rod that goes into the pitman arm from a 96, and the rest of the setup from the 98-99 HD setup. Right? I read somewhere that a guy had a 98 2500 with a 96 2500 front axle and the whole 98-99 HD setup bolted right in. Now where mine is a 96, that's where I believe I have to use the 96 pitman arm and tie rod on the pitman arm. Will all that work or am I missing anything?

JMan96CTD 01-24-2015 11:16 PM

The other option would be putting the "beefier" 2010 setup in. Here's what I've gathered on that subject, again please correct me if I'm wrong. I've read tons of forums with guys just bolting in the 2010 "T" setup into their 2000-2001 rams. Now I know that there is an early 2nd gen(94-97) and a late 2nd gen(98-01) both of which have different knuckles. The tie rod holes are two different sizes, the 98-01's having the bigger hole. The 2010 steering set up has the bigger tie rod tapers, that's why people are able to bolt them into the 98-01's because its the bigger tapered hole. some people claim that the tapers are still different from 98-01---2010 and say they will loosen, but most that have actually done it say they have driven a couple thousand miles and everything is still tight. With all that being said, I haven't read any where people specifically saying they are putting it into an early 2nd gen(94-97) for me, I'm looking to put it in a 96. But I have read a few people throwing out info saying you can reem out the knuckles with a tapered reemer. If so what size/degree taper is the taper of the 2010 tie rods, where could I get that info? As well as having to reem out the pitman arm because the 2010 setup are all "beefier" bars. So you need to use the tie rod for the pitman arm from a 2010. Is this all true? If not where am I wrong? Again doing one of these upgrades in a couple weeks so I need to know EXACTLY what to do in both situations so I can price them both out and go with the best setup for the money.:argh::scare2: Sorry for such long posts but I'm just looking for straight answers because there is really SOOO much info out there... Thanks again