Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   NV-4500 rebuild (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/123466-nv-4500-rebuild.html)

dougcarlo 09-26-2014 09:36 AM

NV-4500 rebuild

How hard is it to rebuild and roughly how much?

4x4manonbroke 09-26-2014 02:57 PM

Built plenty of Manual transmissions .. they come apart one way and they go back to gether one way .. I know that seems stupid to say .. You would be suprised how many times I hae seen a "REBUILT" trans come back because someone forced something where it wasnt designed to fit ...

Get a book and follow the instructions .. take your time, its not that difficult .. Time consuming..... YES !! But I have biult 5Spd - 18 spd and Tripple countershaft MACK tras... WHat A PITA .. Do able though .. just tkes time and lotts of planning ..

OR, Go on E-bay and find one re-built ....

dougcarlo 09-26-2014 04:29 PM

I have a spare sitting here that needs to be rebuilt is why I am asking.
QUOTE=4x4manonbroke;1074633]Built plenty of Manual transmissions .. they come apart one way and they go back to gether one way .. I know that seems stupid to say .. You would be suprised how many times I hae seen a "REBUILT" trans come back because someone forced something where it wasnt designed to fit ...

Get a book and follow the instructions .. take your time, its not that difficult .. Time consuming..... YES !! But I have biult 5Spd - 18 spd and Tripple countershaft MACK tras... WHat A PITA .. Do able though .. just tkes time and lotts of planning ..

OR, Go on E-bay and find one re-built ....[/QUOTE]

4x4manonbroke 09-26-2014 06:43 PM

Go for it .. there not too hard .. Its all just Technical stuff ... mess it up .. Your screwed .. get it right .. our Golden ..

Would you be interested in selling the one that need built ??? Pm me if so ... :pca1:

dezeldoc 09-26-2014 07:43 PM

or you could just sell it to me i need one!

Slim Whitey 09-26-2014 09:17 PM

I just did one 2 weeks ago. First time I've ever torn into a transmission. 1600 miles later I have narry an issue.

Pony up for the right fluid for it. Modern GL-5 gear oil is corrosive to brass ("yellow metal") and doesn't absorb right into the CF synchro rings that an NV4500 uses.

Dodge and Chevy both have speciofic part numbers for Castrol Syntorq GL-4 gear oil. It is the tits. it's priced stupidly (something like 35 or 40 bucks a litre here) but it's the stuff to use.

Get a rebuild kit that includes a new mainshaft. you'll probably need it. If the transmission is older than 96, it'll have a multi piece countershaft. pony up for a one piece shaft. nothing will change except the fact that you won't need to worry about pressing off gears or checking anything. in, out.

you'll need a dial indicator. the transmission calls for .006" play on the ends of the shaft, but I set them at .001" on advice from a longtime builder. You're going to be swapping out the fluid if you're changing hard parts after a short wear in period ("your next oil change" was recommended to me) and by then the new bearings will have loosened up a bunch anyway. you'll have to reset them again. Do so.

any other questions, ask away. this is still very fresh in my mind. (and on my camera)

4x4manonbroke 09-26-2014 11:57 PM

yeah good to know .. :c:

dougcarlo 09-28-2014 12:24 PM

Anyone interested in a GearVendor overdrive? I'm getting rid of it when I install my new clutch. There is just no need for it up here in alaska.

Slim Whitey 09-28-2014 10:01 PM

how uh. . . how much? I'm toying with the idea of one, but I don't fully know how I'll make it work without a ton of money into resizing the driveline.